Railroad Forums 

• English locomotives (electrical problems?)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1005749  by paulntraci99

I'll be making a trip to England this summer and would like to purchase an N scale engine or engines while I'm there. I was wondering if I would run into electric problems when trying to run the engine on my track when I get back home? I know there is a big difference on voltage for everything else, but haven't a clue about train engines for the N/HO/OO hobby.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
 #1005900  by Allen Hazen

I'd recommend calling your nearest hobby shop and asking: enough model railroad equipment gets imported that there is surely a wealth of experience with potential problems or non-problems.

My guess, though, is that there wouldn't be a problem. I think British andAmerican model railroads operate on the same current: 12 volt DC delivered through the rails. What comes out of the plug on the wall is different (American is 110 volt 60 hz AC, British is 220 volt, 50 hz AC I think) but that then gets converted by the power pack (controller): the model locomotive doesn't care what comes out of the wall, only what's in the track. So: PROBABLY (but ask a pro!)you won't have any difficulty with a British locomotive in the U.S., as long as you use an American power pack.

(I had a friend who modelled British railways in his basement in New Jersey. He had a lot of imported British N-gauge equipment, and I don't think he had to do anything special electrically.)
 #1005910  by paulntraci99

Yes, I will ask the guys down at the train shop about it. I just wanted some more opinions though, as I know I wouldn't be the first person to bring (or buy from the internet/shop) a British train home and want to run it on my track. I didn't know if the power packs were the same or not, in relation to how much power they put out for the track/train.
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
 #1005922  by Earle Baldwin

You're good to go. I have a considerable roster of British N scale equipment manufactured by Dapol and Graham Farish and the equipment runs fine on North American systems without modifications of any kind. When you shop for your trains, if contemplating a purchase of Graham Farish stock, do yourself a favor and make sure any items under consideration were produced following the purchase of Farish by Bachmann. Under Bachmann's ownership, the quality of Farish equipment has improved exponentially. Pre-Bachmann Farish stock is very hit or miss, mostly miss. Dapol's quality is fairly consistent and I recommend it as well.

Enjoy and happy hunting.