Railroad Forums 

• CSX seems to be lacking Women Conducters and Engineers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#972436  by raytylicki

Despite having a woman aka Lisa Manicini (http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/media/pres ... relations/) as head of human resources from my years of travels on Amtrak and Freight there seems to be way more women working as engineers on UP/CP/BNSF. It could be that those ladies started out in Commuter Operations and moved to the freight side as BNSF/UP runs commuter ops in several citys. It could also be a difficult to navigate hiring process that screens people in rather conservtive places like Willard OH , Indiana,Buffalo. Aon Consulting had this difficult to navigate system of hiring thru hotel conferences that were in hard to get to places and times.
 #972892  by 10more years

I don't have any idea as to what the percentages of women who work for other railroads. But, it's just a tough life. It's also outdoor work and women don't tend to lean towards outdoor work. Yes, there are some. There are a lot more female clerks and office personal, but the section crews are physical jobs. Yard jobs are physical jobs, although not as bad as what they used to be. And we also tend to put railroad track in places that are not real safe.
 #973925  by SurlyKnuckle

I'm all for equal-opportunity employment, and all that stuff, but the only women I've encountered here in t&e have been horrible. I mean like, nails on a chalkboard horrible. Not because they were women, but because the specific people I'm talking about were/are really stupid.

I had to train a female CQ one night as a utility man on an auto-ramp, spotting and pulling racks. We were working 6pm to 6am on a cold, December night. I was assisting the various remote jobs on the ramp, and occasionally going down into the bowl to assist the road crews double the cars ready to depart the yard. At first she seemed very nice, but as soon as we got out there, she complained about how cold it was, and how she hated working nights. Not like how we usually complain, but just going on and ON and ON and on about how the railroad ruined her life, and how she had to break up with her b/f because the schedule was causing tension.

I know that rr'ers complain, but she just kept going on and on, and didn't seem very interested in learning the tracks in the yard, or being a team player. As punishment, I made her play switchman, as the remote operator and myself worked the ramp. The next time we came out to the lead for a cut of cars, she was REALLY cold! She declared she'd had enough, and spent the rest of the night riding back in forth in the remote engine, in the heat, not learning anything. About a month later, I saw on the layoff inquiry that she was off sick. She was still out sick 2 weeks later, and not long after that, I was told she had quit the rr. Basically called in sick, and never showed up again. It was probably the better move for her, if she was SO miserable out here.

I suggested qualifying on the road if she didn't like the yard, or maybe sticking it out a year then learning how to be a YM, or some other craft. She was a young girl (still older than me age wise, but 2 years younger in seniority), and in this economy, I didn't want to see anybody giving up a good paycheck and benefits just because they didn't like working outside, in the cold, during nighttime. But she had enough, and went back to wherever she came from, and from the other stories I heard about her short 2 months on the railroad, it was better for everybody.

The other person I have to deal with is older than me in age, AND seniority. She's so bad, engineers will regularly mark off when they're lined up to work with her. Word is she's laying in the weeds, waiting to sue the company for sexual harassment the second anybody says ANYTHING that could be construed as such. I think she acts tough to prove herself around her male peers, which is sad; I don't think anybody of any gender or race should have to "prove" themselves anymore than anybody else. 'Round here, everybody should be held to the same standards. Do the right thing, work safely, and don't go around backstabbing one another.

I kid you not, one day I got into the yardvan, in which she was also hoping a ride in. I said "Hey, how's it going?" to her, and this is NO lie, she turns around and says "I am almost 50 years old, I don't need any of your s#it!". Ohhhhhhhhhhhhkay, f##k you too! I can't wait until she's an engineer......
 #974006  by COEN77

I think a lot of us have seen women come and go on the railroad in T&E. The few that stay don't do bad some have transferred to other crafts. I've seen more than my fair share of those looking for a quick meal ticket waiting to nail the railroad for a sexual harrassment case, discrimination, or some BS injury. We had one that was off injured during training the railroad brought her back no man would of been allowed the same. They promoted her without being qualified at any level. She kept filing injury claims constantly. She refused to work in the rain or snow in fact she refused to work period. No insubordination charges were ever filed when she blantonly refused instructions from a YM or TM. There were plenty of witnesses myself included that would of gladly testified at an investigation just to get rid of her which goes against anything I believe in. Last I heard when I retired she had some slick attorney suing for a mega-lotto win against the railroad. All this from a person who including training didn't spend that much time on the railroad and might of worked 5 months in 4 years. Unfortunately people like this make it difficult on the next women hiring out. To those women hired or waiting to get hired more power to them most railroaders don't care about gender it's equal rights do the same jobs as everyone else no special treatment on the railroad at least within the crafts.
 #978252  by Gadfly

jr145 wrote:
Trax-Man wrote:Do the railroads have hiring goals as far as hiring women and minorities in certain areas?

Amtrak does, as do federally funded commuter railroads.
We had a lot of women way back when, but were, mostly, clerks. A f/m brakie was really rare. The ladies I worked with in the yard office/freight house were really nice and helpful to a befuddled newbie freshly marked up on the clerk's board. Some of us routinely "hung out" after work, and a couple were real characters! A lot of fun----as friends and colleagues. One or two---a bit "racy" for my tastes. I was newly married and careful not to fall into some illicit trap or an "affair" that would lead to trouble. But we worked together, laughed together, and cussed together at the railroad that was at the same time our bread and butter and sometimes enemy! These ladies handled anything the railroad threw at them and handled it well! I called 'em..............FRIENDS! :)

GF
 #1127768  by railgirl

I might be a little late to this party, but I like working for the railroad (csx) and I don't mind being outside, or working in cold weather, or being a** deep in snow walking a train. However, I am no longer a conductor, I went to the signal deptartment after 3 years as a conductor. I would probably be about to go to engineer training if I had stayed. I switched deptartments for a more steady schedule. We work 8 on 6 off so I am away from home for 8 days, and some days the work is a little more physical than being a conductor but I get to sleep at night and barring a hurricaine other act of god, the railroad doesn't call me in the middle of the night anymore.
I work with one other woman that has been out here for 10 years, she has played the girl card to much and has lost respect for it. I don't plan on making the same mistake and if I can't physically do the job then I shouldn't be out here. I have seen a bunch of girls come and go but I have seen some guys come and go. Work ethic is work ethic no matter the equipment package you were born with. Am I am as strong as a guy, no, but I can carry a knuckle, run a backhoe, pull cable, operate a shovel etc. I also fit into some small disgusting places that guys don't, we all have talents :-)

Feel free to check out some of the pics on my blog.
http://www.railgirl.blogspot.com
 #1129519  by COEN77

Railgirl

I finally got to look at your blog. I've been meaning to on FB. I remember when you were fresh out of the REDI working at Fulton with To Tall Jones & myself on the pushers. It was a heck of a day that one when To Tall and I were arguing over him not doing his job you thought it was funny to old guys bickering till we went to AACA. Then you understood why I was frustrated. LOL!
 #1129675  by railgirl

COEN77

I remember that day to, you and To Tall arguing like two old hounds in a box, lol. It is a real shame about To Tall. I was wondering when I read the post about the girl transfering if someone was refering to me. Hope you are enjoying retirement, don't worry not much has changed, you still have to wait half the day to get to ACCA. Thought you might find it interesting that we are cutting in the new signals from AM Jct to Ft Lee in the begining of Feb. No more Lousianna st, Nicholson st, Egypt or Scott st.

Glad you got to see the blog, hope you enjoyed it. I will be posting on there every few days, trying to practice my writing and have a little fun. I will add some more pictures when I remember to take them.

Railgirl.blogspot.com