Railroad Forums 

• Training expenses while at REDI

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#967951  by matchbox44471

I will travel down to Atlanta next Sunday for three weeks of training for Assistant Signal Worker - Construction and I have some questions regarding expenses incurred while in Atlanta. CSX explained in an email that I will receive a meal card the first day I am there to be used in the cafeteria at REDI. Does anyone know if we receive an allowance for all other meals when not at REDI? The job summary posted on the CSX web site says under sub heading Training "CSX will pay for travel, lodging and meals as required by collective bargaining agreement." What exactly does the collective bargaining agreement require that we are reimbursed for while in training?
 #968057  by railman616

You may want to check out the employment forum for an answer to your questions. You should take a weeks worth of cash for meals. The meal card only covers meal at the REDI center.
 #969586  by Firehawk

matchbox44471 wrote:I plan on bringing enough to cover expenses. I will also try and go to the grocery store across from the hotel and stock up an lunch and breakfast items.

As a conductor we got meal allowance of $20.00 aday we didnt have a card so it might be different for you.....GA has got like 10 sales tax....on bracket is 7 percent and the other is 3 percent. EVERYTHING IS TAXABLE! food clothes etc. The meals at the REDI are a little pricey....avg price for a entree with two sides is like $7.00 bucks plus a drink which it about $1.40...watch when they ring you up some will charge you more then the other guy....
 #969626  by matchbox44471

Thanks for the info! They told us at the hiring session that we would receive $100 per week for food but they did not mention the meal card until I received an email. I will wait and see what we are told on Monday.
 #969673  by Kazecap0ne

Firehawk wrote:
matchbox44471 wrote:I plan on bringing enough to cover expenses. I will also try and go to the grocery store across from the hotel and stock up an lunch and breakfast items.

As a conductor we got meal allowance of $20.00 aday we didnt have a card so it might be different for you.....GA has got like 10 sales tax....on bracket is 7 percent and the other is 3 percent. EVERYTHING IS TAXABLE! food clothes etc. The meals at the REDI are a little pricey....avg price for a entree with two sides is like $7.00 bucks plus a drink which it about $1.40...watch when they ring you up some will charge you more then the other guy....
at the REDI you'll pay for your meal and it will be $9.50 and they guy behind you has the exact same thing and he pays $7....but don't make a big deal out of it and get fired over the price of your pork chop
 #969894  by Firehawk

Kazecap0ne wrote:
Firehawk wrote:

at the REDI you'll pay for your meal and it will be $9.50 and they guy behind you has the exact same thing and he pays $7....but don't make a big deal out of it and get fired over the price of your pork chop
yea i heard the story of the guy that got fired for flipping out on the staff down there for charging him more then the other guy,,,,,,lose a career over a 2-3 dollar over charge on your lunch bill is just crazy