Railroad Forums 

• Conductor-Trainee Interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#962836  by daddyo210

On August 11, 2011 I went to Kelso, Washington for testing and panel interview. I passed the test and was invited to interview. When I returned home form a 1600 mile round trip I received the dreaded "thank you, but no thank you" letter in my email, which also said that if I chose to I could reapply with the Longview Switching Company after 6 months. Not satisfied with my email letter, I did some further investigation as to why I didn't receive a conditional offer. I contacted the operations manager in Longview and asked him why I wasn't considered for an offer when I passed the test. He remembered who I was from the interview. He assured me it wasn't any criminal background nor vehicle code violations, as both I do have. He informed me that I failed to answer correctly a safety question during the oral interview, and that is why I was not considered. He further told me that my aptitude test results would be on record and valid for two years. It was a long trip to make to hear "no." When I answered my phone today it was the BNSF automated recording informing me that I have been invited to interview for a Conductor-Trainee position in Sheridan, Wyoming, and that I should check my email in regards to the phone call received. Upon opening my email, it was not the same invitation letter that I had received for the Longview position, it simply said thank you for letting us consider you, we are further reviewing your application. It seemed to be in conflict with the phone call I received which indicated date, day, time, and location of interview. After receiving the "no thank you" response from Longview, I had decided to go to the Modoc Railroad Academy for training and allow RR companies to seek me out for employment rather than driving thousands of miles to different locations for interviews that might not give me a second look. This will be the second invitation I have received from BNSF in the last month. I am not sure how to proceed... whether I should drive about 2000 miles round-trip to Wyoming or spend $7000 for schooling and certification. Modoc RR Academy boasts as of July 1, 2011 they have a 100% rate of recruitment from RR's for their students. Is there anyone out there that could give me a heads up on what might be waiting for me in Wyoming? Doesn't BNSF have the results of the testing I took already, and wouldn't they forward that on and deny me for failing to answer a safety question correctly the first time? Any thoughts or recommendations? The interview in Wyoming is on August 29th, leaving me only about 6 days to decide whether or not to make the long, expensive trip out there. Thank you, respectfully, DaddyO.
 #963124  by x60pilot

I don't think they would forward the results of your interview. Sounds to me like you have what they are looking for on your resume / application. I am surprised that they called you for a job so far away, CSX won't call if you are more than 1.5 hours or so away from the job. If you really want the job I'd say drive and try again. Why pay for training if you can get hired and be paid to train.

As far as the interview. I haven't interviewed with BNSF but they are all, all about safety. In the interview sessions with CSX the guy told us how to answer his safety questions. The biggest one was who is responsible for safety? The answer, I and my co-workers around me are responsible for safety.

As much as I am happy to be hired, and really wanted the job. I don't think I would have traveled 2000 round trip to get it. But then again I am not willing to move out of state either.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.
 #963130  by eaglestar

Hello,

It seems as if you are faced with a rather common problem. Unlike Union Pacific, whose application system will reject ANYONE failing ANY part of the pre-employment process, BNSF is not so consistent. Since you've already passed the conductor trainee aptitude test, that is one less thing you'll actually need to do in Sheridan (I interviewed there on August 4th, and received a conditional offer a few days later.)

As x60pilot stated, interview results usually do not get forwarded (unless you really manage to insult the HR reps or disrupt the hiring session), so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the conflict between the phone call and email, I received an email with the particulars a good 3 days before receiving a phone call in regards to the position. Even though you seem to have it vice versa, I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my case, I kept receiving interview invites (and rejection notices) even AFTER I received my conditional offer, which goes to show the inconsistency with the application process.

If you are quite concerned with this matter (which I would be if I had to drive 2000 miles), I'd email the HR Rep in charge of the Powder River Division, that being Patty Whitlock, and plead your case. It shouldn't be an issue at all though. BTW, emailing the HR rep can convey a sense of deep interest in the position.

And finally, Modoc (as well as NARS) should only be used as a last resort. They are very effective programs, but will run you the price of a motorbike and not grant any assurance of a position. Regardless of Modoc's claim, there is NO guarantee in a position. A UP Hiring Session I went to had 4 people attend for 5 positions, and we were all "released" in person after the interview. Now THAT'S logical. ;P

Good luck, and I hope to see you out in coal country soon!

-Alex

P.S. Sometimes, it's best to keep plugging away. I went to 2 UP hiring sessions (Portland, OR and Saint James, MN) and one Amtrak Asst. Conductor interview (Los Angeles) and got nixed from all of them The first BNSF hiring session I attended, I was hired. Just remember the safety, safety, safety, and you'll be fine.