Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Retirement and Social Security

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#958304  by KathyN20

My husband is retired from CSX. I currently work fulltime, but collect a small monthly amount from his pension. I will be eligible to take early retirement next year and would like to know if I can collect not only my full portion of railroad pension but my social security as well.
 #958363  by 130MM

KathyN20 wrote:My husband is retired from CSX. I currently work fulltime, but collect a small monthly amount from his pension. I will be eligible to take early retirement next year and would like to know if I can collect not only my full portion of railroad pension but my social security as well.
I don't think you will be able to "double dip" - you get to take one or the other.

But your best bet is to go to the RR Retirement board website:

http://www.rrb.gov/

Good luck!

DAW
 #958621  by COEN77

KathyN20 wrote:My husband is retired from CSX. I currently work fulltime, but collect a small monthly amount from his pension. I will be eligible to take early retirement next year and would like to know if I can collect not only my full portion of railroad pension but my social security as well.
It's your choice one or the other can't collect both. That should be determined by the greater of the two. Seeing you're already collecting a partial pension from the spousal stipend you must be over 60. RRB has strict requirements on double dipping. I would suggest the both of you contact the local RRB office to weigh the options.
 #958703  by dgooden

If you are drawing about half your spouses railroad retirement that is the maximum you will be able to draw although when a retiree dies the spouse steps up the the retirees amount. As for drawing a 2nd pension if it is social security is is already figured in the benefits you are receiving in railroad retirement. If it is another pension such as teachers, government etc you can draw on or the other but not it and railroad retirement. If it is your 401-K or IRA you are drawing from it has no bearing on railroad retirement benefits.
 #1004489  by steph120765

I have a question for a gentlemen that just retired. English is his second language so he really doesn't understand at all the retirement process. He just received his first pension check after a long delay as he didn't have any help with the process. Now he really regrets retiring as he didn't realize he would have to pay over $500 a month for insurance and wants to get rehired. He asked my husband to check on it for him but my Hispanic husband doesn't understand the process either and who is he gonna ask anyway--the timekeeper or a Union rep? They are in the engineering dept---they work in the spg gangs. Thanks for any input or thoughts on this matter. CSX is sooooo big I really have a hard time trying to figure out where and how to ask questions. My husband will be retiring in the next couple of years so I know I definantly need to go to a retirement seminar.
 #1004664  by COEN77

steph120765 wrote:I have a question for a gentlemen that just retired. English is his second language so he really doesn't understand at all the retirement process. He just received his first pension check after a long delay as he didn't have any help with the process. Now he really regrets retiring as he didn't realize he would have to pay over $500 a month for insurance and wants to get rehired. He asked my husband to check on it for him but my Hispanic husband doesn't understand the process either and who is he gonna ask anyway--the timekeeper or a Union rep? They are in the engineering dept---they work in the spg gangs. Thanks for any input or thoughts on this matter. CSX is sooooo big I really have a hard time trying to figure out where and how to ask questions. My husband will be retiring in the next couple of years so I know I definantly need to go to a retirement seminar.
No one should retire without knowing the facts. RRB could of answered all questions even with a language barrier. It sounds like he took an early retirement but his wife wasn't 60 years old and can't collect her stipend. That would be the reason healthcare is over $500 for a single individual it's around $225. Is his retirement age based or a disabilty? That also can make a difference. Then it gets into time in service. If a person takes early retirement at age 62 because they didn't have 30 years paying into RRB they take a 20% reduction. As for rehiring once a person retires they sign a letter of resignation. He can work elsewhere to supplement his income just needs to check with RRB on the amount one can earn to see if there is a limitation. If it's a disability then one can only earn no more than $780 a month.