• Was just accepted to a hiring Interview!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by overkill650

Hey hows it going. i was just contacted yesterday from CSXT. I was selected for a hiring Interview for the Selkirk NY branch. The interview is this tuesday.

Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  by bandaconductor

Yeah do not waste your time. a lot of new people already hired for up there and a lot of the work will be going to other terminals within the next year or so. But if you want to be furloughed have at it.
  by Noel Weaver

bandaconductor wrote:Yeah do not waste your time. a lot of new people already hired for up there and a lot of the work will be going to other terminals within the next year or so. But if you want to be furloughed have at it.
Being laid off has been a fact of life for many railroaders for many, many years. If you want a good job with a decent potential long range, the railroad is not a bad bet but the first few years you may have to deal with a lay off or two or three.
Clue, work when the work is there and put some of your earnings away for a rainy day and you should be OK during a lay off.
Being willing to move around when necessary also helps, I did it over the years and every time it paid off for me.
Noel Weaver
  by iceman977th

Congrats on the interview! Still waiting on a call from CSX for a conductor's job. At least you got farther than me. :P Good luck!
  by CSX Conductor

I strongly agree with Mr.Weaver. If you hire out now you get on the roster and if you're furloughed and brought back you'll have your seniority. CSXT isn't the greatest when it comes to good working environments for it's employees, but i have no regrets. The only regret I have is that I didn't hire out earlier.....and that I didn't switch to passenger service sooner, lol.

One reason why there are less jobs now is because of the expansion of RCO operations in Selkirk, even after all of the damage that's been caused and one conductor crushing himself between equipment.

Btw, this should be in the employment forum.