Railroad Forums 

• Hiking the Laccawanna cutoff end to end?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#948888  by gearhead

Hiking?Montain Biking the Laccawanna Cutoff?
by gearhead » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm

I plan on taking the Steamtown Train to Tobbyhanna and Hiking/Biking to Andover...What obstacles will I come across? What is the Surface like? If it is large crushed gravel it will be impossible to ride.
 #961021  by mediccjh

Don't hike the viaduct there in Slateford across the Delaware River. People have a tendency to fall from it.
 #961744  by mikeexplorer

Do you mean the concrete Lackawanna Cutoff viaduct or the steel one? The steel one can be tricky.

Mike

mediccjh wrote:Don't hike the viaduct there in Slateford across the Delaware River. People have a tendency to fall from it.
 #965885  by JasW

mikeexplorer wrote:Do you mean the concrete Lackawanna Cutoff viaduct or the steel one? The steel one can be tricky.

Mike

mediccjh wrote:Don't hike the viaduct there in Slateford across the Delaware River. People have a tendency to fall from it.
There's only one viaduct -- the one serving the cutoff -- but if he's talking about the Old Road iron bridge just a few miles south, kids have a tendency to jump from it.

#967950  by NYS&W142Fan

I count 10 illegal trespassers that should be arrested and charged. I get very tired of reading about people jumping off of Railroad Bridges and then when they get hurt, it's the Railroad's fault! Each one should have to pay a fine and do community service. A few years ago there was a piece in the paper where a woman was suing NS because they allowed her husband to jump off this very bridge and was killed. She wanted restitution and for the Railroad to remove the bridge. It's stuff like this that makes it bad for the responsible railfans.
 #968424  by Roadgeek Adam

NYS&W142Fan wrote:I count 10 illegal trespassers that should be arrested and charged. I get very tired of reading about people jumping off of Railroad Bridges and then when they get hurt, it's the Railroad's fault! Each one should have to pay a fine and do community service. A few years ago there was a piece in the paper where a woman was suing NS because they allowed her husband to jump off this very bridge and was killed. She wanted restitution and for the Railroad to remove the bridge. It's stuff like this that makes it bad for the responsible railfans.
Photo's too blurry to get names. ;) I also question statue of limitations since it is a 2005 photo.

Also, the sue-happy idiots always win, why bother arresting them?
 #970353  by mediccjh

I've had them fall into the concrete; I have no clue how.

Either way, it can't/shouldn't be done. You'll have to use the Appalachian Trail, which uses the I-80 DWG bridge.
 #975612  by mikeexplorer

I have seen this bridge, rail still exists on one side and looks like part of it is used as a tail track since there are active rails on the PA side. The NJ side, the rails and railbed are gone. Bridge is in good shape including the ties.

Mike
 #975652  by Roadgeek Adam

mikeexplorer wrote:I have seen this bridge, rail still exists on one side and looks like part of it is used as a tail track since there are active rails on the PA side. The NJ side, the rails and railbed are gone. Bridge is in good shape including the ties.

Mike
Rails have been gone for a long time on the NJ side. Hell a washout near Oxford prevented any DL&W trains running down there.
 #992312  by Roadgeek Adam

sullivan1985 wrote:About 3 years ago I hiked the entire length of the NJ Cutoff from Port Morris Yard to Slateford JCT. Took about two days to do but there is virtually no grade. Terrain is a bit rough as it an old RoW that hasn't been maintained in almost 25 years.
There had to be 25 people on the Delaware River Viaduct Saturday afternoon when my father and I went hiking Mt. Tammany. Was amazing how people got up there.
 #1009845  by blockline4180

TDowling wrote:Now that construction has started, is hiking the cutoff considered trespassing? Was it trespassing to begin with?

Yes it is, and I would not advise doing that at this point!!

Sorry, but I'm locking this up!