Railroad Forums 

• Louisville and Nashville 70 Tonners

• Forum dedicated to the Seaboard System Railroad and its predecessors, aka The Family Lines System, prior to its operational merger with the Chessie System, forming CSX, in 1982. Predecessors included the Atlantic Coast Line, the West Point Route, the Clinchfield, the Louisville and Nashville, the Seaboard Air Line, and the Seaboard Coast Line.
Forum dedicated to the Seaboard System Railroad and its predecessors, aka The Family Lines System, prior to its operational merger with the Chessie System, forming CSX, in 1982. Predecessors included the Atlantic Coast Line, the West Point Route, the Clinchfield, the Louisville and Nashville, the Seaboard Air Line, and the Seaboard Coast Line.

#71844  by AmtrakFan

Terry,
Are you sure Frisco had 70 Tonners I know they had 44 Tonners for a fact.

AmtrakFan

#71896  by SSW9389

That drawing is as close as the Frisco came to owning any real 70 Ton GEs.
TerryC wrote:Here this is as big as life http://usloki.tripod.com/images/70ton/70slsf1.gif

#72522  by ACLfan

Terry, the Louisville & Nashville RR owned two GE 70-Tonners.

Their initial unit numbers were L&N # 125 and # 126, later changed to L&N # 98 and 99. I don't know what happened to # 98, but # 99 was sold to the Marianna & Blountstown RR as MBT # 99.

The Marianna & Blountstown RR operated between its two namesake towns in the Florida panhandle, and was abandoned in the early 1070's. I have no idea what happened to # 99. Unfortunately, it probably was sold for scrap. The last time that I saw this unit, it was in a really woebegone condition!

The L&N also had four 44-Tonners, as inherited from the merger with the NC&StL RR in 1957. All were later retired and sold to dealers who sold them to various industries for industrial operations. One of the units resurfaced back into commercial railroad operations when it was purchased by the Bath & Hammondsport RR.

BTW, where did the Frisco stuff come from? The L&N had nothing corporately to do with the Frisco!

But, mentioning the Frisco, it had eight 44-Tonners ( one Davenport-Besseler, one Whitcomb, and six GE units), and one 45-Tonner (GE). That's as close as it got to 70-Tonners.

ACLfan

#72551  by SSW9389

Terry C changed the subject of his original post after AmtrakFan and myself answered his original question in the negative.

Here's your new slogan Terry C: "Quit asking, because you aren't learning."
ACLfan wrote:
BTW, where did the Frisco stuff come from? The L&N had nothing corporately to do with the Frisco!

ACLfan

#72624  by TerryC

ACLfan thanks for the information on the 2 Louisville and Nashville G.E 70 tonners