Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#924409  by ExCon90

Just came across a collection containing a few acknowledgments of commute-train delays for later distribution aboard trains. I thought this one was interesting:

TO OUR PENINSULA PATRONS:
On this opening day of the World Series, our trains carried two types of Commuters: "Yankees" and "Dodgers"--with Conductors acting as umpires. And with so much baseball banter aboard--it was bound to happen: Train No. 121 struck out at San Bruno with diesel trouble and was on the bench for 31 minutes. Trains No 123 and No. 125 were also benched for 28 minutes and following trains were penalized accordingly.
We're sorry to have made an error on opening day--we'll try to make up for it with a fast home run tonight.
It was signed CLAUDE E. PETERSON / Vice President System Passenger Traffic--Public Relations
The friendly SOUTHERN PACIFIC
and dated 9-28-55. The print order was 15,000. The announcements are on 3"x5" card stock and on the back of each is a golf score card.
 #924498  by edbear

There was a TRAINS Magazine article on those cards about 1958, if you can find it. Cards were issued over several years to explain delays and cancellation in the Peninsula Commute service. There was text on who set it up and its public relations value and a number of cards were reproduced in the article.
 #965942  by Tadman

I love the golf score card on the back. They sure knew their audience and how to stay in front of them.

I wonder if any private railroad (non Amtrak/Via/Commuter) has a VP of passenger traffic anymore?