Railroad Forums 

• new hires and nicotine

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#919735  by alray34

is it true that u.p. test for nicotine for the new hires med. exam. before giving the ready to start? i've been on the batch for sometime now and do not want to mess up my chances for a future with this company. thank you
 #921490  by SpikedFurr

I hired out in Feb of this year and did not have anything specifically said about smoking during my PAT or physical. I dont smoke, though. We had a couple smokers in class, but they kept it pretty descrete.
 #922001  by slchub

Smoking was "banned" on the property a few years ago. The UP even gives our Amtrak passengers grief when we are stopped at a station stop on account the train and depot are on UP property.

Good luck with the position.
 #922190  by alray34

thank you so much for the replies. passed background check and had the med. exam and phys. exam now waiting on results. cant wait. i really want this
 #922301  by COEN77

CSX banned smoking on board locomotives & buildings but not outside on property. There are a lot of snuff/SNUS/ tabacco chewers. Never understood it. Wasn't anything more digusting then to get on board a locomotive and someone left their spit bottle on the console. I politely (right!) reminded them the next time to remove all their belongings. lol