Railroad Forums 

• L&H Memories: Bob Huyler Goes to a Yard Sale

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#907882  by jmchitvt

Well, you didn't have to look for signs, or even need directions.

We're at Foley Square in the Financial District in lower Manhattan - and it's Spring 1958.

Our favorite little L&H is shopping at the auctioning off of the O&W, and on a budget.

The F-3's went off to a western road, the NYC got some NW-2's (wouldn't been fine to get one to Warwick, as "flat switching" the westbounds is less than a year away. Wonder what one would'of looked like in a L&H scheme?

Anyway, they came home with that O&W treasure the 105 flanger (so lovingly maintained by the L&H, then the P-burg RR historians), some drafting equipment for Gordy Ellms (himself former O&W), and THAT power track switch.

Then it was off to lunch ,and back to Warwick.

Later on I'll tell you where that electric track switch (the L&H's only one) was put to good use. (But should'of gotten two of them!! - and I'll tell you about that too.)
 #908743  by njmidland

And then there was the yard sale, well auction at Warwick HQ in 1982. Most of my railroad paperwork collection is still in the file cabinet I won that day along with a bunch of employee safety award pins. Wish I could have bought more.
 #909840  by Railjourner

jmchitvt wrote:Well, you didn't have to look for signs, or even need directions.

We're at Foley Square in the Financial District in lower Manhattan - and it's Spring 1958.

Our favorite little L&H is shopping at the auctioning off of the O&W, and on a budget.

The F-3's went off to a western road, the NYC got some NW-2's (wouldn't been fine to get one to Warwick, as "flat switching" the westbounds is less than a year away. Wonder what one would'of looked like in a L&H scheme?

Anyway, they came home with that O&W treasure the 105 flanger (so lovingly maintained by the L&H, then the P-burg RR historians), some drafting equipment for Gordy Ellms (himself former O&W), and THAT power track switch.

Then it was off to lunch ,and back to Warwick.

Later on I'll tell you where that electric track switch (the L&H's only one) was put to good use. (But should'of gotten two of them!! - and I'll tell you about that too.)
I love to read your L&H stories, PLEASE keep them coming! :)
 #914907  by jmchitvt

Thank you for reading my material, railjourner.

God willing, I will continue.

Just got back from the Tennessee Valley and will put together another posting soon.

Upcoming will be a discussion of L&H traffic patterns, 24 hours at Andover!!, a look at 1963 symbol freight schedules, etc.

Now back to tending to a sick lamb here on the farm!!