• "Operation Lifesaver" in New York Times' Crosshair

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by John_Perkowski

URL is http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/response.shtml

As always, there are two sides to each story. Granted, UP is the biggest physical RR in the nation. It SHOULD spend more than anyone else.

A good neutral statistic would be: $ per track-mile spending.

Disclaimer: I hold a small IRA position in UNP

John Perkowski
  by Gilbert B Norman

Look what won a Pulitzer!!!

by Jtgshu

I never got around to reading that series in the summer when it was first published, but I am reading it now (about 1/2 way done) and I hate to say it, im not terribly surprised, or shocked. Instead, I think its more stunning to me, everything I could imagine the railroad doing, but never thought they would do, they DID do.......

In all honesty, Im glad I work for NJT.......it has its problems, and many of them, but from what I have observed from working out on NJT for several years now, is that especially crossing malfunctions are taken VERY seriously, and promptly repaired, and Form D's issued to all the trains approaching it. Not to say that crossings don't malfunction, just last week, we saw a very busy crossing with lights on, and one gate down, but the other was stuck up. We proptly reported it to the dispatcher, and within a few minutes heard him giving a form D to a train behind us.

The whole Times series is most definately an award winner, and deserves teh Pulitizer Prize it won - for the public to get a peek at the railroad management mentality is priceless, and its disregard to many important issues should be closely examined.

As a side note, the profession of "Railroad Claims Agent" is the lowest, scummyist, bile and most degrading job a human being can have. And I think the quotes from the series show that very well.

by Ron Newman

Here's a link to the series. I think you can read it all here without having to pay an archive fee.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/national/dea ... index.html