Railroad Forums 

• Conductor vs Shop Laborer help out!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#871148  by Serious50

Hey guys just today got a call of a conditional offer from CSX. The position is for a conductor spot in Marysville, OH. My dilemma is I also have an offer for a fireman & oiler (shop laborer) position with NS. Curious of the ups and downs of each. Job security, layoff, financially or any rant and rave on either offer. Any bit of info is a great deal of help with my decision. Thanks!
 #871185  by COEN77

I'd go with the shop laborer also. It's not under the hours of service law so it's possible to work a lot of overtime doubling over on shifts. They usually don't over hire for the shops might be more stable. Set hours unless you work an extra board. Might be better room for advancement. With a conductor position most likely it'll take years to get off an extra board fluxuation of freight could mean furloughs and traveling to find work is a possibility.
 #871224  by Serious50

I appreciate to information. Im currently a conductor for a shortline near my home town. I really do enjoy conducting and im leaning 70/30 for shop laborer position, i just hope im not sacrificing somethin I enjoy doing for somethin dull with much less pay! Ive heard marysville is basically A to B and deadhead back? not used to class one lingo. From my understanding we would just hop on ride drop off and van it back to marys. I know its based around a honda plant and Scotts Lawn. Trying to get as much info with the posotives and negatives of each as possible. Rumors are also flying of alot of grey engineers getting out which would help climb the seniority fast. Thanks for the posts.
 #871342  by Serious50

Dont think i submitted my reply. But any way im currently a conductor for a shortline and really enjoy conducting. But with rumors of PTC around the corner i am wondering about job security. I also dont want to sacrifice less pay and boredom of a shop laborer for NS vs a conductor spot with CSX. tough decision but need to know soon. Anyone know of advancement time and opportunity with starting off as a shop laborer in the locomotive shop in bellevue OH. Or the traffic and job security with Marysville OH csx? Thanks fellas, sorry for bad grammer and structure not much time to post!
 #871893  by COEN77

I wouldn't worry to much about PTC. I don't think it'll eliminate the road conductor. PTC been around for a long time it's a safety device. With the railroad one can never say it can't happen. I never thought remotes would of became a reality even though for over a decade they were already in use in Canada. The way that happened was one union screwing over another. Which won't happen if the railroads try to eliminate the road conductor the BLET & UTU would work together to fight any attempt.