Railroad Forums 

• BN Seniority Question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#852778  by Mac

I was looking into getting a job as a conductor with BNSF and currently live in Minnesota. I was wondering if I get a job in BN territory can I transfer back to Minnesota after a while without losing my seniority? Is there anyway to keep you seniority in BN territory if you move like the Santa Fe does? I am willing to travel anywhere to get my foot in the door but would like to come back to Minnesota after some time with losing my seniority.

Thanks,
Mac
 #987480  by ps2000

A lot of the BN senority districts are closed. When I worked out of Dilworth, MN, I could only transfer between areas in ND, MN and I think SD. So I think that if you hire out in MN you could transfer only in the immediate area up there. They dont have system wide senority like in the south.
 #987804  by jz441

Minnesota is not part of the system seniority. If you hire out on system roster, BN or ATSF, you will have to start from the bottom if you transfer to Minnesota... provided that they approve your transfer.