Railroad Forums 

• Questions about BNSF dispatch position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#813294  by New Train Guy

Hello all. I recently submitted my resume and application to BNSF for the Train Dispatcher position. I have no prior train dispatching experience, but I have over five years of police/fire dispatch experience. Could someone explain some of the job requirements, the training procedures, and the hiring process? I'd really like to know what the process is for getting hired and trained. I've heard there's a test that you have to take...what does that include/cover? Is there anything I can get/do to prepare for it? Is there anything I can do to prepare for the job in general? Do I have a chance of getting this job with my experience, for that matter? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

New Train Guy
 #815347  by jz441

You sure have a good chance... Test includes basic math, word problems, percentages and personality test. Not sure how long the training is, but once completed the pay is around $41/hr. I know a few engineers who went dispatching years ago, and they love it!

Good luck!... :wink:
 #819543  by New Train Guy

jz441 wrote:You sure have a good chance... Test includes basic math, word problems, percentages and personality test. Not sure how long the training is, but once completed the pay is around $41/hr. I know a few engineers who went dispatching years ago, and they love it!

Good luck!... :wink:
Thanks for the info JZ441. I'm very interested in the job. I've checked on the status of my application and they said it could be anywhere from 2-to-8 weeks for them to call back, so now I'm just waiting to hear from them. Hopefully I'll hear something good soon. Thanks again.