Railroad Forums 

• What is left?

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#60487  by David

What L&NE trackage is still in use? I know that it is completely gone from New Jersey, so the remaining portions are located in Pennsylvania. The CNJ had parts of it after 1961 but when CNJ left Pennsylvania, what became of the L&NE Railway? I would think that what is left is disjointed. Any maps? Thanks

#60548  by obsessed railfan

The remaining L&NE track including L&NE Railway is operated as the Norfolk Southern Cement Secondary. The line goes 22.6 miles from Bethlehem to Uhlers, Pa. and services remaining cement mills and general industry.

#60835  by cjvrr

There is a spur the Reading and Northern uses in Tamaqua, PA to reach a mine just east of town, that had been part of the LNE.

Chris

#61457  by gravelyfan

In addition to what has already been noted, a short segment of the LNE Martins Creek Branch still exists from the DLW/PRR junction in Martins Creek southwards a short distance to the Con Agra mill. This line connects to the NS Portland Secondary at Martin's Creek and is operated by NS.

#107540  by NJ Vike

While no tracks lay anywhere in NJ that I know of, most of the right of way is still very visible from Hainesburg Jct. to Owens Station Road.

I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Ken

#129412  by David

Ken--Are there any encroachments to any parts of the ROW in NJ? I know there are none on the L&HR. If there are none, it leads me to believe that it is possible that the L&NE and the L&HR may be "Railbanked" What are your thoughts?

#129494  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Ken--Are there any encroachments to any parts of the ROW in NJ? I know there are none on the L&HR. If there are none, it leads me to believe that it is possible that the L&NE and the L&HR may be "Railbanked" What are your thoughts?
Dave,

Are you referring to obstructions throughout the lines?

#129546  by David

Yes--permanent structures like--houses, garages, stores, etc.---I know so far that the L&HR ROW is still clear from Lime Crest to Belvedere. (New Jersey only)

#129641  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Yes--permanent structures like--houses, garages, stores, etc.---I know so far that the L&HR ROW is still clear from Lime Crest to Belvedere. (New Jersey only)

For the L&HR, the only place I know of that you cannot pass is the tunnel under the cut-off. A business or the state has placed a fence there so nobody can enter. Other than that, only vegetation would be an issue up here.

Did you know that Conrail left 2 gondolas in Belvidere? They're approximately 200 feet from each other. How did they not account for them?

There are no permanent structures that I'm aware of on the L&NE. Just past Swartswood Jct, the ROW is now on the gas company property up tp Sussex. The trail can be followed most of the way to Pine Island.

#129744  by David

Yes---I have visited the gondolas three times--The last time, last summer, Mike (DiMunno) called in the numbers on the units and received a report stating that the "gondolas were unaccounted" or lost. They have scrap in them from when they tore up the line. We walked the line from there to the connection at "G" Tower where the connection is still complete. Mike later found out that the tracks are still in service. Hopefully they will be used again sometime soon. Also--I see you tried to contact me--I just received an E-mail and no message :( Please try again--Thanks

#129862  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Yes---I have visited the gondolas three times--The last time, last summer, Mike (DiMunno) called in the numbers on the units and received a report stating that the "gondolas were unaccounted" or lost. They have scrap in them from when they tore up the line. We walked the line from there to the connection at "G" Tower where the connection is still complete. Mike later found out that the tracks are still in service. Hopefully they will be used again sometime soon. Also--I see you tried to contact me--I just received an E-mail and no message :( Please try again--Thanks
David,

I will send you another message.

Ken