Railroad Forums 

• Shortline Conductor Career (MIDWEST)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#794792  by ChicagoSub25

In The Future (2 Years) I Plan On Attending The National Academy Of Railroad Sciences Conductor Training Program, And Am Not Sure Whether To Join BNSF Or One Of Their Shortline Partners, And Was Wondering What You Would Recommend, I Currently Live In Illinois (45 Minutes From Chicago) And Was Wondering, With A NARS Conductor Certificate, Would That Give Me An Advantage On A Shortline?
Also, What Is The Big Difference Between The Shortlines And Class 1's (Employment, Salary, Work Hour(s), ETC.)
 #795056  by COEN77

Save your money for better use than attending the NARS program. Majority of railroads Class 1 and especially shortlines hire right off the street with their own training programs. Most shortlines are on the job training. NARS and other schools that had conductor training courses have outlived their usefullness. Use the money for an education that can be used either to advance on the railroad or outside the railroad. It's not an easy life in the begining a new hire is subjected to furloughs with the weight of a financial burden it can be devistating. Go thru this site research and read what others have posted.
 #795341  by qboy

Interesting that these questions sound similar to former posters GreatNorthern, and RAILROADTRAINING. Basically asking that same questions and pretty much getting the same response. I would have to agree with COEN77 save your money and research all the post on employment on this forum. Unfortunately you may not like the answers you receive regarding NARS.