Railroad Forums 

• Rail Jobs in CA

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#788593  by UK Signaller

Hi everyone. I'm looking to move to California in around 5 years, preferably the south. I currently live and work in the UK as a Railway Signaller and would like to do something similar in the US. I've done a little research and found that Train Dispatchers do something very similar to what I do right now.

Can anyone give me any advice on what rail companies are out there in California who I could contact. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.
 #796199  by thirdtrick

I'm no expert on dispatching by any means, but I can tell you that California's economy & financial situation remain absolutely screwed... like long term. No railroad in California is hiring anyone right now, let alone dispatchers. Five years from now? Meh. I wouldn't bet on it. Most of the entry-level dispatching jobs out there are going to be for the large railroads based in the middle of the country... Nebraska, Illinois, Texas, Florida, etc. Not exactly SoCal, eh? If you must live in california, you're better off working as a conductor, maybe transfering down the road.
 #801108  by adinnhall

Only by taking passengers away from the airlines, so it's no net gain, or if the tickets are more expensive than flying, even that trick won't work. I been reading that they plan to start sometime at the end of this year. It just seems crazy that a line like that would get built so fast, while the ones sponsored by the government are going to take years longer to start. And just who is putting up the money to build that line?