Railroad Forums 

• South Plains NJ CR531 (Park Ave.) Overpass

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#787006  by Bevans

I am looking for bridge foundation information regarding the following bridge constructed 1933 in South Plains, New Jersey where CR 531 (also known as Park Avenue) crosses the former Lehigh Valley Line which is now Conrail. Specifically, I wish to know if it was customary for Lehigh Valley to construct these types of bridges on pile foundations or without piles using spread footing foundations near the ground surface. Finally, any suggestions you may have regarding how I may view the original drawings would be appreciated. (The bridge is being replaced and very little historical information has been obtained to date.)

The bridge location is shown in maps for the following Internet link. The applicable Structure Number is 1253163

http://www.city-data.com/bridges/bridge ... ersey.html

Also attached are photographs.

Thanks for any insights.
Attachments:
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg (77.95 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg (79.68 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
 #787389  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi -

That is the Park Ave bridge in South Plainfield, NJ, (there in no South Plains in NJ to my knowledge, but rather a Scotch Plains, a town away) and this bridge is located right on the border of Edison, NJ, in the Oak Tree section of town. I know, because I live 5 minutes from there.

To me (but what do I know) I can think of no reason for the LV to have built the bridge (but there are exceptions), but rather the municipality. Have you checked in with the town halls of Edison and South Plainfield?

Not for nothing, but that bridge could stand to be replaced! Is there some kind of historic significance that I am missing?

CF