Railroad Forums 

• The new RDG Museum in Hamburg - worth a visit?

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#765676  by motor

2 1/2 years ago I visited the RDG minimuseum in the old station in Temple on my way to the day's main event - a ride on the WK&S.

Since then the RDG museum has relocated to Hamburg.

My question is: is the new museum worth a visit for railfans like me (and others nostalgic for the RDG)?

If this topic has been broached before, let us know, please.

motor
 #766625  by motor

motor wrote:2 1/2 years ago I visited the RDG minimuseum in the old station in Temple on my way to the day's main event - a ride on the WK&S.

Since then the RDG museum has relocated to Hamburg.

My question is: is the new museum worth a visit for railfans like me (and others nostalgic for the RDG)?

If this topic has been broached before, let us know, please.

motor
Guess nobody's been there. [rolleyes]

motor
 #766818  by GP30 5513

motor wrote:Guess nobody's been there. [rolleyes]

motor
Or no one's viewed this thread; people do have lives you know.

I've been to the RCT&HS four times in the past year, and I plan on going more often. I think the $5 they charge for the guided tour is a steal, especially when you can photograph anything you can focus your camera onto. They've got a great gift shop too with plenty of RDG memorabilia and trinkets.
 #767053  by Franklin Gowen

GP30 5513 wrote:
motor wrote:Guess nobody's been there. [rolleyes]

motor
Or no one's viewed this thread; people do have lives you know.
Seconded. :wink: Even as your forum moderator, sometimes all I have time for is a quick hit-and-run visit just to make sure all of the anthracite elves are behaving themselves here! :-D

Seriously, I haven't yet been to the new Hamburg location yet, so I cannot comment authoritatively. From what I've read previously here at the RCT&HS' web page, it can't help but be a nice visit. If the location is convenient or even just semi-convenient to you, give it a chance. From where I live, a +75 mile drive is less possible than I'd prefer. Real-life obligations are unforgiving that way. :( I do hope to make it up there in the springtime.

I know that they're working very hard to get all of their historic motive power & rolling equipment off of the RBM&N's trackage as soon as possible and safely onto museum grounds. Until it's completed, this major time-sensitive effort is going to take energy away from the things that they'd prefer to be doing at the museum site itself, of course.
 #767491  by motor

Thanks, guys. Sorry for the sarcasm and the "impatientness" (my mom's malaprop). I just thought there would be responses in the first 24 hours.

Sounds like the RCT&HS' is indeed worth a visit, maybe this summer.

What rolling stock is available for view on the property right now?

motor
 #767868  by RDG Diesel

motor wrote: What rolling stock is available for view on the property right now?

motor
Currently there are 34 pieces of rolling stock in the guided outside tour 10 locomotives a bunch of freight equipment, MOW and passenger equipment as well. As GP30 5513 stated you can take as many photos as you want. As track work is completed more will be on display. Also a bunch of the equipment is going to be getting a face lift this summer, and EX RDG GP7 621 should be returned to service at some point this year as well.