Railroad Forums 

• CNJ ROW S of LAKEHURST

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#732869  by WHITINGDIAMOND

World Series raindelay so...

Was wondering if anyone had any information on the clearing of the former CNJ south of Lakehurst. My observation was that from a vantage point in Lakehurst , in the vicinity of the fueling depot which was an addition made I believe as recently as the 1980s, as movement was still being made albeit at 10mph or less to the lumber company on Rt. 37 west, the track has been cleared of over growth in both the bed itself and about 10 yards either side of it. It's pretty neat to look from that vantage point south to see a sight that almost evokes the trackage's legendary history as you can see that they have cleared it all the way from there to the crossing of Rt 539. At 539 the machine responsible is resting just off the road. I am assuming its a piece of equipment commonly used for this type of work as it has a tell tale dual purpose truck.

When I passed it Friday late the machine was facing south and no one was near it. Today at around 5Pm it was facing North again unattended. But it seemed that it was continuing on its way south toward the old positive stop at Pasadena. I regularly take the motorbike there traveling south along the it until the ROW reappears. I know that quite a while ago they cleared the pitch pine saplings, at the time I recall there was a plan to reactivate the Hansen plant there, or, to use the track for hopper as it had very near the end of service for ConRail.

NJ Natural Gas is now placing major trunk lines to finally bring gas service to Manchester. I think somehow the work on the ROW is a little more coincidental to that project than any thought like I had that it was related to the MOM project, or, what else could it be? Just a note the Gambler's Express would get to AC quicker this way. Sorry could not help but invoke that far fetched fantasy. When you see what they've done though.It make you wonder..who's paying to have this even done.. and why?

Well anyway appreciate any feedback from anyone knowledgeable here about it. Just wanted to add that once about 500 yards away from this keyboard two great railroads crossed at a diamond.

(By the way some of those buffs from Stafford stole it, just kidding, though in Seaside Park in 2001 they uncovered a period wooden railroad passenger car that had been made into a summer bungalow, instead of spending a few bucks or having a community fundraiser to mount it as a museum piece they just trucked a piece of precious Ocean County railroad history to the landfill..but thats the history here, don't get me started on that..just find the work Catherine Turumbello did for the erstwhile Ocean County Review and you'll see what I mean..real Chinatown type intrigue here in the home of sun and fun 60 years ago.)

The tracks the PRR are gone but the ROW still remains intact all the way to the Pemberton Bypass. The CNJ where the Blue Comet ran twice a day now is getting some interesting attention...if one harbors the hope that transportation planners will note that these original pathways were and remain the most efficient and energy saving means available..to say nothing of well, there're trains.

If you get behind as many of those fully loaded dump trucks heading north on 539 you now that its a little more than nostalgia I'm talking about.
 #733051  by westernfalls

WHITINGDIAMOND wrote:Was wondering if anyone had any information on the clearing of the former CNJ south of Lakehurst....
New Jersey Seashore Lines, an affiliate of Cape May Seashore Lines, seeks to operate 13 miles of line between Lakehurst and Woodmansie owned by Clayton Companies and formerly operated as a private carrier by Ashland Railway. You can start reading all about it here:
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/readin ... enDocument
 #733757  by GSC

The property owner in Seaside Park, where the old PB-series Pennsy coach was, wanted the car off the property. He contacted URHS, who in turn contacted NJ Museum of Transportation, both sending restoration experts to look at the car in the hope of preserving it. A trucking company specializing in moving rail equipment was also called in. The many additions, which effectively hid the car, were removed, exposing the old coach. It turns out that the coach was in far worse shape than expected, and several ideas were discussed, but in the end, the car wasn't worth saving. Sad but true. You just can't save everything.

There were once three old PB-series coaches there, right along where the curve to the Barnegat trestle was, and were added to, to become summer cottages, used mostly by fishermen.