Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Type 9 Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1530679  by troffey

smsullivan11 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:16 pm Not to take this even more off track, but why did the T stash these at Orient Heights of all places and why do they even have them just sitting around. Seems weird to have semi-completed shells sitting and waiting in salty air for a day that never comes.
The shells are supposed to shrink wrapped to protect against the elements, but we can see how well that is holding up in the picture.

As far as Orient Heights, I'd imagine the decision was based strictly on where there was space that wouldn't be in the way of daily operations. Not an ideal spot, but the options were probably few.
 #1533870  by Type 7 3684

Over the last couple weeks, the Type 9s have started making revenue trips along the B and C lines. They've also started running in service on weekends.
 #1534344  by Yellowspoon

Are they ever going to fix this poorly-designed, tardy vehicle?. The first Type 9 was put into revenue service 14 months ago. All I see are sporadic units in operation. None are running in continuous revenue service like the 7s and 8s. For the past several months I have never seen more than one Type-9 in service at any point. When one is running, it is usually on a weekday, but not in the evening or during rush hour. Rarely did I view one outside of the D branch. Then, on Monday, February 10th, I noticed that three Type-9s were running simultaneously. Finally, I was hoping that they had corrected the dwell time in stations. I was to be sadly disappointed.

Monday, 10Feb20: From my home computer, I follow two type #7/8 combinations as well as 3900/3903 on the C line. The two 7/8 go from Fairbanks to North Station in the scheduled time of 31 minutes. 3900 takes 37 minutes. On the reverse trip to Cleveland Circle, both 7/8 combinations take the scheduled time of 42 minutes. 3903 takes 45 minutes.

Tuesday, 11Feb20 I board at Waban. Online, I notice that 3903/3900 is outbound at Coolidge Corner. At Reservoir, I walk over to Cleveland Circle. 3903 is followed immediately by another train. Even though I arrived with no inbound train in sight, it takes about 10 minutes to get 3900 over to the inbound track. 3900 leaves at 14:29. There was a 2 minute delay at Boylston because the mirror does not give the operator a good view of the rear doors because the train is stopped on a curve. There was a delay at Park Street for unknown reason. We sat for four minutes with all doors open. 3900 arrived at North Station at 15:27, 58 minutes after leaving Cleveland Circle and 16 minutes longer than the scheduled time. Another C train immediately followed 3900 into North Station. I believe the 2nd train left for Cleveland Circle before 3903.

Thursday, 13Feb20: En route to the boat show, I again park at Waban. Two trains are due within three minutes. I assume the 2nd one is a type 9 as the station marquee shows a Kenmore destination. Singleton 3903 is labeled “TEST TRAIN” and does not stop. This is one of the cars on the C line two days earlier.
Inbound, I notice that 3909 is en route to Boston College. I alight at Reservoir and walk up to Commonwealth Avenue. I miss the outbound run so I wait for the inbound run. 3909 leaves Chestnut Hill Avenue at 12:23. 3909 leaves Blandford Street at 12:59. After the train leaves Copley, the recorded announcement has changed the destination from Park Street to Government Center.
3909 arrives at Park Street on track 4 at 13:16. Before our doors open, the subsequent B train arrives on track 3. A third eastbound B train is en route to Boylston. This Type-9 took 17 minutes from Blandford Street (see photo) and 53 minutes from Chestnut Hill Avenue. The scheduled times are 13 and 43 minutes respectively. This is conjecture on my part, but I believe 3909 was re-routed to Government Center so that a faster train could take the next load of patrons to Commonwealth Avenue.
After the boat show, I take 3902 from Park Street to Copley. One item that I noticed for all three of the Tyep-9 vehicles this week was that the “STOP REQUESTED” indicator was always on unless the doors were open. In one instance I asked the operator why. She did not know but made every stop because it was on at every stop.

Note that in 1943, the time from Blandford to Park Streets was 9 minutes. Today, the scheduled time is 13 minutes, 44% longer. The MBTA no longer uses the phrase, “Rapid Transit”.
Blandford_1943_Cropped7.jpg
Blandford_1943_Cropped7.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
 #1534391  by BandA

That Standard Oil Company of NY sign is where the Citgo sign is today? And the Gulf sign is where the White Fuel sign was later?

What type trolley was that?
 #1534409  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:46 pm That Standard Oil Company of NY sign is where the Citgo sign is today? And the Gulf sign is where the White Fuel sign was later?

What type trolley was that?
Yes on the signs.
 #1534656  by johnpbarlow

Here's 3905 inbound at Chestnut Hill - don't know who its mate was. This was my first ride on a Type 9 and I liked it although the Siri-like voice is chatty. Car has good acceleration although, given there was a fair amount of other trolley traffic on the line, the effect to a one sitting on one of the inward facing seats in the articulated section is there's a lot of jerkiness: accelerate, slow down, accelerate, etc. But overall, it's a nice vehicle!
Attachments:
MBTA Type 9 Trolley Chestnut Hill 022020 small.jpg
MBTA Type 9 Trolley Chestnut Hill 022020 small.jpg (351.26 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
 #1534822  by TurningOfTheWheel

The tracker at http://newtrains.today shows 3905 paired with 3900, and IIRC those two have been paired from the outset.

They're nice vehicles with good acceleration -- CAF actually makes a pretty good product once they get running -- but I'm still looking forward to all of the teething problems getting resolved. A friend of mine sent me a picture with one of the interior screens already broken.
 #1534834  by scratchyX

johnpbarlow wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:20 am Here's 3905 inbound at Chestnut Hill - don't know who its mate was. This was my first ride on a Type 9 and I liked it although the Siri-like voice is chatty. Car has good acceleration although, given there was a fair amount of other trolley traffic on the line, the effect to a one sitting on one of the inward facing seats in the articulated section is there's a lot of jerkiness: accelerate, slow down, accelerate, etc. But overall, it's a nice vehicle!
It looks like a large green caterpillar
 #1534870  by Type 7 3684

The Type 9s were running again this past weekend. 3900-3905 was on the B Line and 3903-3901 on the C Line. 3902-3908 was sitting on one of the tracks beyond Cleveland Circle all day on Saturday.