Railroad Forums 

• Iowa Interstate QJs - When and where do they run?

• For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
 #720434  by WileeCoyote

Hey all,

While I was still in Germany I found out that the Iowa Interstate Railroad bought and imported two former China Railways Qian Jin class steam locomotives. I've noticed that since then they've sometimes pulled revenue freights and so otherwise see some occasional use. Would anyone here happen to know when and where they run, or possibly who I would contact to ask about that? I'd really like to see some Chinese steam in action, particularly since German steam is practically inexistant here.

WileeCoyote
 #720872  by Bartman-tn

There is no schedule for these locomotives to run. In fact, they haven't run in a year or more. The last run was for a series of trips for a charity for some area floods last year.

The railroad has no regular staff to use them, or really any suitable equipment for long runs (their coaches have no restrooms). However, if anyone with enough money showed up, they would probably run them. I've been offered the chance several times by the railroad management but haven't been able to put together anything that works financially.
 #956804  by Gilbert B Norman

From Holiday Inn Express Coralville IA--

First allow me to note that this hotel has "rooms with a view"; in fact I think that practically ANY room here will have a "view'.

The IAIS has certainly come a long way.. I can recall when two GP-35's would be making their way at maybe 15mph and handling likely about ten cars. Two engines, what else do you do when one is dead and the other is lame?

From anything I have observed during my two day stay, the IAIS now handled 75 car trains that run by here at about 40mph. I have seen trains (and I have "not exactly" been hanging around the hotel just to see trains) with UP, BNSF, and KCS power, as well as IAIS, of course. Most of the traffic appears to be agricultural (IAIS accesses Cedar Rapids over the CRANDIC - the former Interurban between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City) - and Cedar Rapids has a large amount of food processing activity (ADM, Cargill).

All told, in my view the IAIS is a viable property. Thery even have time for "heritage" activities; case in point the "pow wow' at Rock Island kast weekend. They also will be hosting excursions during the upcoming 2012 NRHS convention in Cedar Rapids.

All told, a good show by my window.
 #956870  by Ocala Mike

Gil, you're in what used to be "my neck of the woods." I used to work for the old Collins Radio Company (Now Rockwell Collins) way back when, and lived in Cedar Rapids for a time. My wife's sister lives in Nichols, IA, and works at UI in Iowa City.

One thing I've been wondering: what ever happened to the old Milwaukee Road line through Marion, IA? Is it gone? If not, what railroad owns it?
 #966254  by Bartman-tn

A couple of things here.

The 2012 NRHS convention will be in Cedar Rapids the third week of June. We do plan to use the QJ steamers for trips on two days. We hope to have tickets on sale for the convention early fall. Check out www.nrhs.com for more details.

The former Milwaukee Road line from downtown Cedar Rapids to South Amana/Homestead is now part of the Cedar Rapids & Iowa City (CRANDIC). A few pieces are gone in Cedar Rapids, but the Milwaukee Road line to what is now called Yocum Connection (near Homestead) is the main interchange route between CRANDIC and Iowa Interstate. The IAIS actually operates the trains over this route up to Smith-Dows Yard, just west of the ADM complex on the south side of Cedar Rapids.

The QJs also run a few local trips each year for volunteer fire departments and such as fund raisers. These trips are generally advertised locally, but hard to find out about otherwise.