Railroad Forums 

• Help needed

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#681489  by BaltOhio

Can somebody tell me the official name of the point where the Newtown branch crossed the Phila.-Jenkintown-West Trenton main line? I'm ashamed to say that I gave away my operating timetables and maps, and now need to identify a photo taken there. Thanks very much!
 #681643  by mitch kennedy

Near Bethayres. It was protected by Ayres tower, and later by a remote interlocking by the same designation. The tower, boarded up, still was there in the late 70's but I don't know if it still is standing. Never be ashamed to ask!
 #681744  by westernfalls

mitch kennedy wrote:It was protected by Ayres tower, and later by a remote interlocking by the same designation.
Not quite.

The tower (probably the second one) built in 1908 was known as NK Tower but wasn't identified in early timetables. Sometime between 1917 and 1930, "NK" Tower gained a listing among the stations on both branches: 14.9 miles from Reading Terminal on the New York Branch (0.2 west of Bethayres) and 14.0 on the Newtown Branch (0.4 west of Huntingdon Valley). The crossing became remote controlled from KI Tower Jenkintown in 1936 (according to my notes, but I thought it was much earlier), lost its station listing, but gained a note in the Special Instructions (as such things were handled in those days) as Bethayres.

In 1966 the remote control apparatus was replaced for the control installation called Wind (which was at Wayne Junction) and the Special Instruction was modified accordingly. With the system timetable of 1969 the station Ayres was added and it had mysteriously migrated another 0.1 west on the New York Branch. The practice of using cute names for new remote controlled interlockings had been in place for quite some time, but it wasn't until the timetable was completely revised in 1969 that these names were applied to every interlocking, remote controlled or not.