Railroad Forums 

• Bound Brook NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#709746  by Mike77E9

Interesting night at Bound Brook, was there from 7:30p until about 10p, saw 8 or 9 trains go by. For some reason, there was a speed restriction of 30MPH in the area, and every westbound train crept in, stopped at the signal for about a good 2 or 3 minutes, and then moved on once they got their signal.

Anyone have an idea why there was a speed restriction in place today?
 #710022  by njt5140

Mike77E9 wrote:Interesting night at Bound Brook, was there from 7:30p until about 10p, saw 8 or 9 trains go by. For some reason, there was a speed restriction of 30MPH in the area, and every westbound train crept in, stopped at the signal for about a good 2 or 3 minutes, and then moved on once they got their signal.

Probably the typical North Jersey stupidity backup where every train at that time runs on bad signals.
 #710023  by wolfboy8171981

Mike77E9 wrote:Interesting night at Bound Brook, was there from 7:30p until about 10p, saw 8 or 9 trains go by. For some reason, there was a speed restriction of 30MPH in the area, and every westbound train crept in, stopped at the signal for about a good 2 or 3 minutes, and then moved on once they got their signal.

Scheduled track maintance. When the track bed is disturbed, it needs to settle. This is done with the weight of trains at a reduced speed. Usually the next day the slow order is lifted, unless they work again the next day.
 #710024  by wolfboy8171981

njt5140 wrote:

Probably the typical North Jersey stupidity backup where every train at that time runs on bad signals.
Strike one.....
 #710088  by Kaback9

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
njt5140 wrote:

Strike one.....
LOL. Wolf it looks like things cleared up just in time for you though, so how could he have a strike!
 #710089  by RailsEast

Holy crap njt, now you've gone & done it.....ya' got strike one. Dintcha' know wolf got a new desk assignment?!

If you keep this up, he's gonna' get ticked & hold everything 'till after dark, so none of us will ever get a decent pic again.......
 #710093  by njt5140

Not my fault, I went outta my way to avoid the place by going on the Allentown pool but they made me go to the armpit of the earth(NJ)!
 #710152  by Jtgshu

NJtwoM wrote:Holy crap njt, now you've gone & done it.....ya' got strike one. Dintcha' know wolf got a new desk assignment?!

If you keep this up, he's gonna' get ticked & hold everything 'till after dark, so none of us will ever get a decent pic again.......
Maybe the Raritan trains will get good railroad for once then :P hhahahhaha :wink:
 #710207  by Mike77E9

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Scheduled track maintance. When the track bed is disturbed, it needs to settle. This is done with the weight of trains at a reduced speed. Usually the next day the slow order is lifted, unless they work again the next day.
Thanks Wolfboy! I figured it was track maintenance. I was there again last night for a little while, everything was still creeping in... i really have been spending too much time there lately, i guess it doesn't help when you only live like 5 blocks away.
njt5140 wrote:Not my fault, I went outta my way to avoid the place by going on the Allentown pool but they made me go to the armpit of the earth(NJ)!
Gee.... somebody really dislikes NJ here! lol! :P
 #710208  by wolfboy8171981

only if your on 5456,5757,5458,5401,5403,5404,2406,5409,5408,5710.... 5540,5501,X550,5503.
 #731949  by Mike77E9

Looks like the Eastbound Waiting Room isn't going to be done until sometime next year. Apparently Bound Brook has to go out for bid on the project all over again. It's in their minutes: http://www.egovlink.com/public_document ... -22-09.doc

Rosina's Restaurant will be opening up sometime next week in the train station, a lot of the parking spots out front were re-signed as 'Rosina's Only' parking.

Also, there's a ton of railroad ties stored off to the side of the LV tracks. Looks like track work in the area.
 #748673  by Mike77E9

Looks like Rosina's restaurant has opened up in the old train station a few weeks ago. Looked like they had a pretty good crowed there as all of their signed spaces were filled. I've heard good things about them when they were in their old location.

I'm curious if they're going to have outdoor dining, this would make a good railfan restaurant if they set up tables in the back, i believe they have the space for it. However, i'm not too sure how the patrons are going to like it when the trash trains come up to the junction and stop on a warm summer evening.
 #749223  by RailsEast

Hey Mike, if you read this in time, run over to the station with your camera. A very reliable source told me that there were 3 covered hoppers on the ground at the storage tracks just west of the station (the old CNJ line, I think), and CR had a couple of locomotives & a crew working to get them out of the dirt.
 #749244  by Mike77E9

NJtwoM wrote:Hey Mike, if you read this in time, run over to the station with your camera. A very reliable source told me that there were 3 covered hoppers on the ground at the storage tracks just west of the station (the old CNJ line, I think), and CR had a couple of locomotives & a crew working to get them out of the dirt.
Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, i'm stuck at work until 4pm. I know where you're talking about though.
 #749424  by wolfboy8171981

NJtwoM wrote:Hey Mike, if you read this in time, run over to the station with your camera. A very reliable source told me that there were 3 covered hoppers on the ground at the storage tracks just west of the station (the old CNJ line, I think), and CR had a couple of locomotives & a crew working to get them out of the dirt.
NS Manville based local H64 derailed the last three cars and an engine on the connecting track between CP-Bound Brook on the Lehigh Line and Brook Int on the Raritan Line. Supposedly it was fouing RVL #2 track. I beleive all is back to normal.