Railroad Forums 

• American Street running - Philadelphia

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#656910  by Pacobell73

In the West Kensington/Northeast Philly area, there is a long stretch of street running that extends for approx 17 blocks. It starts around West Indiana Avenue and runs south to the Northern Liberties/Fishtown section of Philadelphia. Looks like this line originates at the current Fern Rock Transportation Center station.

What can anyone tell me about this line? Looks like there was bustling industry all along the now-decrepit American Street. This line reminds me of what the NYC's High Line must have been like in Manhattan before it became the High Line.

Thanx, all! :-D
 #657173  by JimBoylan

That's the beginning of the original route of the North Penn RR, American & Berks Sts., Kensington, to Bethlehem. It was later extended South via Cadwallader and 2nd Sts., Germantown Ave., and Front St. to meet the Philadelphia & Reading RR at Willow St.
 #657241  by Pacobell73

When did the line get ripped out? All the street trackage is still in place, but the rest of the line right up to Fern Rock is gone.
 #658112  by ex Budd man

Remember the Trenton Ave. line? That ran on elevated tracks from Lehigh Ave almost to Front St. I used to think it was a parallel line to the Frankford El when I was 12.
Last edited by ex Budd man on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #664017  by ex Budd man

The Trenton Ave. elevated line was a Reading line that started at the Lehigh Ave. Reading yards and engine facility between Kensington Ave. and Aramingo Ave. The relief (wreck) train was stored there too. In the film 'Rocky' it is out of sight beyond the Frankford el bridge in the scene with Rocky on the 'black bridge' as it was known in my neighborhood. (K&A)