Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Lodi branch line question...

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#641628  by airman00

Hi. Anyone know when lodi branch last had a train on it? Is it active or retired? Line runs across rt. 17 in northern NJ. Also saw there was once a station at end of line but couldn't find it. Did passengers get picked up there?
 #642439  by CarterB

The original railroad to Lodi was the Lodi Branch Railroad, which ran off the NJ&NY (Erie) at Hasbrouck Heights.

http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=NJ

Much of the sunken ROW remains on the West side of Rt 17 (you can definitely see the old 'cut' right across from the Hilton)to Lodi between Garibaldi Ave and MacArthur Ave ending where the NYS&W 'took over' (with its route up to Hackensack) in the industrial park just S of Garibaldi @ Mill St. (the curve away from the NYS&W going East is still quite visible along the fence line. From that point the line went on into Lodi, crossing Main St where the ShopRite is now. The station used to be on the East side of Main, across from what is now the South Entrance of ShopRite.

The line served many many factories in Lodi where the Municipal Center and ShopRite and the Bank are now, and had several sidings, even one that crossed Saddle River just above Arnot St. Bridge. to I believe, a power plant.
 #1002326  by brianc02

The crossing at Essex St is open again, but the rail is missing still from where the ROW work took place. Looks like a good road bed was laid down in anticipation of new track. Any thoughts or ideas of what will become once all is completed?

Brian
 #1002401  by brianc02

I meant to say where the ROW meets Essex St. There had been orange barracade fence up for months. The last time I can recall something going down the line was in 2007. Empty dirt gons were stored on the other side of RT 17.
Brian
 #1382074  by Hawaiitiki

A thread on the Garfield Branch reminded me of the branch that I can still remember crossing on 17 at 60mph as a child and hitting the roof of my parents car.

I know they did a fair amount of rehab about 4-7 years ago, from a grant I believe, to use the line for storage of excess cars. But I haven't seen a movement here in years. Anybody know anything?