Railroad Forums 

• B&M caboose Southborough, MA

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#640155  by atsf sp

I was riding the Worcester train and I saw this B&M caboose in Southborough, MA. What is the history of this caboose and how did it get there? Heres a pic. I'm sorry about the slight blur but the train was at speed.
B&M caboose.jpg
 #640862  by truman

If it has a road number and assuming its the real one, not just a number someone slapped on it, I could see what I can dig up.
 #641077  by bmcdr

That is definately not an ex B&M caboose, it does however, look like an ex Central Vermont van based on a Canadian National type.
 #641559  by moth

Where did you see it? Was it fairly close to the commuter rail stop. I will look around and see what I can find out if you can narrow it down a bit.
 #641955  by atsf sp

It was right before the train entered the station going westbound. it was in a backyard that looked like a junkyard maybe but this caboose was in great condition and on rails.
 #642931  by moth

You can only barely see it from the street as there is a big fence in the way. It does seem to be close to track level. The driveway (which goes around the other side of the building) has a RR X-ing sign even though they don't actually cross the real tracks. I am guessing that a rail-buff owns it. I will see if I can find out the business name (I think I am going to suggest the nearby Pizza shop for dinner) and see if I can get a better photo.
 #658759  by JDM864

atsf sp wrote:I was riding the Worcester train and I saw this B&M caboose in Southborough, MA. What is the history of this caboose and how did it get there? Heres a pic. I'm sorry about the slight blur but the train was at speed.
B&M caboose.jpg
A local contractor owns the caboose. He had it trucked in - I forget where he obtained it from. If I remember correctly he uses it for his model railroad.

There is a typical window-mounted AC unit mounted between the windows on the cupola.
 #853402  by sgp1959

Hi , this is Steve, the caboose in question is in my backyard owned by my landlord. It is actually a CNR caboose purchased from Canada. It doesn't have any numbers on it because we don't know original number any suggestions as to how to find out ? I've been racking my brain trying to!
 #943956  by stvigi

I'm driving home and stuck in construction trafic, I look to my left and what do I see behind a fence is a B+M caboose painted pink.
Its on Southville Road about a 1/4 mile from the Southboro MBTA station.
Anyone have any information on it?

Steve
 #944014  by MEC407

Mystery solved! :-D
 #1429225  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I heard that there is caboose on private property, off of route 135 in Southboro,mass by the MBTA train station . Does anyone have any information on this, or photo's . Thanks Pat