Railroad Forums 

• Reading Terminal Track 13

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#638812  by John Johnstone

Hello, Regarding track 13 at the Reading Terminal: It was used for the City Branch to connect to the B & O and was not electrified. During operation, there was often a gondola with trash in it positioned there at track 13. Until the B & O closed its station at 24th and Market in 1958, Shuttles operated between the Reading Terminal and the 24th Street Station. Also, track 13 was used in 1972 during Hurricane Agnes, when tracks on the Norristown Branch were flooded west of Manayunk and trains to Reading and Pottsville had to travel via the City Branch at about 5 mph and onto the Main Line, running through Fairmount Park, past Gladwyne and Bridgeport and making its first stop at Valley Forge. I was fortunate enough to ride from track 13 on this train. At the time, my Father worked in the Reading Terminal building and the trains ran from track 13 until repairs were complete on the Norristown line. After the Reading Terminal closed in 1985, the City Branch was used to haul trash out of the Terminal while the new Convention Center was being built. I worked near there and saw many of those trash trains riding below Calowhill Street. I don't know the date of the last train from track 13, but I imagine it was around 1987.
 #640972  by delvyrails

Budd RDCs also were to be seen on track 13.

I seem to recall that the Freedom Train (c. 1947) was placed on this track for a few days during its travels about the country.
 #797620  by Budd9001

My Dad worked the Pottsville Trains which would sometimes depart from track 13. Track 7 would never have the GE, Silverliner 4's on them either. The train that often ran on that track were BUDD RDCs, Budd Silverliners or the Blueliners.
 #797669  by Steam man

John Johnstone wrote: its station at 24th and Market
I think you mean 24th and Chestnut,no?