Railroad Forums 

• The Blue Comet Train

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#592114  by JJMDiMunno

Hey guys,
Anyone here know the weight of each of the coaches used on the CNJ's Blue Comet? If exact weights are not known, approx. weights or an average weight of all cars would suffice.

Thanks in advance folks.

Mike DiMunno
 #592247  by Marty Feldner

Mike-

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but-

Purely by coincidence, I happened to be looking through the 1922 Car Builder's Cyclopedia tonight (for something else). There's a picture of CNJ 78 passenger day coach #810, with a weight listed- a piece of information not commonly given for passenger cars in the cyc's.

115,800 lbs.

Hope this helps...
 #621251  by joseph22

Whatever happened to the Blue Comet train? I'm desparate to know. I'm tring to do a documentar on it. I'm familiar with route its traveled. What happened to all the cars and engines that were apart of it.
 #621851  by GSC

Two observation coaches exist, one on rails and one at a restaurant. I think a couple coaches might exist, but not much else. The three locomotives (831-832-833) were cut up. "The Trail Of The Blue Comet" book has some good info, and some of the guys here probably know what is still alive and well. Don Wood's "Unique New York & Long Branch" book has a whole chapter on the train.
 #621914  by Ken W2KB

GSC wrote:Two observation coaches exist, one on rails and one at a restaurant. I think a couple coaches might exist, but not much else. The three locomotives (831-832-833) were cut up. "The Trail Of The Blue Comet" book has some good info, and some of the guys here probably know what is still alive and well. Don Wood's "Unique New York & Long Branch" book has a whole chapter on the train.
All three of the observation cars exist.
 #622229  by GSC

That's right, Ken. Two are rail-worthy.

CNJ 1178 and NJT-1, although that might be the same car?
 #622294  by Ken W2KB

GSC wrote:That's right, Ken. Two are rail-worthy.

CNJ 1178 and NJT-1, although that might be the same car?
See this site: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/cnj_rstr.html

that says:

1 Coach Clerestory URHS of NJ NJ 1172 Blue Comet Westphal
1 Coach Clerestory URHS of NJ NJ 1173 Blue Comet d'Arrest
1 Coach Observation Clinton NJ 1179 Blue Comet Biela @Monmouth (Restaurant)
1 Coach Obersvation Cape May NJ Tempel 1169 Blue Comet
1 Coach Observation Hoboken, NJ URHS museum collection ex NJT-1 (Blue Comet Di Vico #1178)
1 Combine Round Roof NJ Trans. Museum NJ 302 Blue Comet Encke
 #626828  by joseph22

Do you guys know of any bookstores that might have books on the Blue Comet?
 #626833  by joseph22

Also, does anybody have footage of the Blue Comet itself? If you do, if it's not going to be any trouble I would like DVDs of them. It's no big deal if you can't get em to me.
 #627646  by GSC

Point Pleasant Historical Society has footage of Bay Head in the 1930s, showing PRR K4s and "The Blue Comet engine" (#832) in regular passenger service. Also some great footage of opening the Manasquan Inlet and the intracoastal waterway with lots of cool old boats, and some incredible footage of the burning Morro Castle ship. I have a copy of it, but it's copyrighted by the PPHS. Check with them, they are usually quite generous with their collections.
 #635236  by willg550187415

You might also checkout an old TV special about the Blue Comet train up on YouTube. Just search on the words "blue comet train".
 #677184  by Pinewald Station

I was wondering if they were ever used in freight duty? I haven.t seen any pictures as evidece but maybe somebody knows?
 #677984  by Pinewald Station

Wow..great pic there.....I guess I thought it might have happened but never saw that pic..good find and thanks for sharing !