• Questions about working in the Waterville Shop

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by ssemones04

Hi, im new on here. I am a recent graduate of Northern Maine Community College's Diesel Program. I graduated in may, and am currently working at Pepsi Cola in augusta where i have been working at since 2004, except for an internship with a trucking company for 8 months. Trains have always interested me and I am really thinking i would like to try to get a job in waterville, as a mechanic. I was wondering if they hire entry level, because my experience is mostly with trucks and tractors. Also i was wondering if any members here, on this forum, work there in the shop because i am wondering what it is like working there, how many people they have, etc. I have a friend who is working there as an electrician who said my best chance at getting in would prob be around Feb.? If you can offer me any info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Sam
  by CN9634

WATERVILLE, ME: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Seeking dependable, motivated individuals for the following positions:

Diesel Mechanic Must have experience in the maintenance and repair of diesel engines.

Preferred candidate will have experience in rebuilding/repair of GM645E & E3 engines.

Diesel Electrician Experience with troubleshooting locomotive circuitry, or industrial wiring required.

Experience reading schematics of GP-40 a plus.
Carman Outdoor work repairing freight cars and other rail equipment. Must be mechanically

inclined, dependable and able to work varied days and/or shifts.

Send resumes to: W. Mayo, Mechanical Dept.
Springfield Terminal Railway Co.
55 College Avenue
Waterville, ME 04901
or fax to: (207) 873-6931

It sounds like for the most part you are qualified but experience with GP40's are a plus. Why not familiarize yourself with those units if you can?
  by ssemones04

Thats not a bad idea. I should read up on them. As for the job posting, that is old, unfortunately they filled the position quite a while ago, before i got my resume in. I have been in contact with a man named mark though, hes been helpfull. He told me to keep sending in my resume in every 6 months to let them know im still interested.
  by MEC407

In the meantime, try to learn as much as you can about the EMD (GM) 645 series engine. About 90% of the locomotives you would be dealing with at Waterville are powered by the 645; the rest are powered by the 567, which you should also familiarize yourself with because the 645 and the 567 share a lot of common traits. Also learn as much as you can about EMD turbochargers.

The guys in the EMD forum may be able to give you tips on specific books, web sites, etc. where you can learn more about these engines.

Best of luck!
  by mick

One thing that enginehouse workers have to do which is pretty unpleasant, which you should know about, is to clean the toilets on the engines, and they can get pretty nasty. Being a new guy, you would most certainly have to perform this task.
They use a hose to suck out the toilet from a pipe on the side of the engine, but then you have to go in and clean the inside, and it has to be done thoroughly, because the crews can refuse to use the engine if it stinks or is unsanitary, and that does not sit well at all with management when that happens, they will want to know who let that engine leave the enginehouse in that condition.