Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#605070  by Tommy Meehan

TacSupport1 wrote: On I-95 and the Merritt Parkway, traffic is ALWAYS an issue!
And don't forget, both are also toll roads, are they not? [Edit-Maybe just I95?] And the 'lower' Merritt in New York (the Hutchinson River Parkway) is a tough route to drive especially in bad weather.

There's also the issue of merely getting out of Manhattan. What's the toll on the Tri-Boro bridge these days? Five bucks?

Final thought- This gentleman, being from Ohio, found Metro-North fares kinda shocking? Want another, even bigger shock? Wait'll he sees the way people drive in our area! :-D
 #605076  by nightsky

10-trip off-peak ticket
This gentle*woman* had not heard of this 10 trip ticket, and no one at work mentioned it to me, nor the bike pass. Thanks!

btw, I did not take 95; I took the Merritt, and took it at 1 pm, and roads were almost always clear. And reverse commuting from NYC to CT means there is no parking fee (for me), so cost is low. I never took the triboro, I took FDR to the willis bridge (free) and jumped on 87 N to Merritt. Saved me time and $.

But I still would rather take the train, for other reasons.

And yes, the drivers in this neck of the woods are terrible compared to Ohioans - MUCH bigger problem with insane tailgaters, people speeding at 100 mph, etc. But the driver's test in OH is much harder - people have told me that in NY (don't know about CT), that the driving part of the license test is a joke - you don't even get on the highway.

Even bigger problem: quality of roads around NYC. If the roads looked like that in Ohio, we would have riots.
 #605237  by Otto Vondrak

nightsky wrote:Another question, which I am sure has been covered, but I could not find in a quick search - why is the cost of a ticket so expensive??
Uh, you don't know what it would cost if it wasn't subsidized.
Is it due to lack of riders?
RFLMAO - no.
nightsky wrote:
10-trip off-peak ticket
This gentle*woman* had not heard of this 10 trip ticket, and no one at work mentioned it to me, nor the bike pass. Thanks!
A ten-trip is probably your best bet. Of course, you should probably check out all the fare options:

http://mta.info/mnr/html/fares.htm

Welcome aboard, miss! Get used to driving 80 on the Merritt, and get used to rough roads. Take the train whenever you can and let someone else do the driving.
 #605335  by R36 Combine Coach

Tommy Meehan wrote:And don't forget, both are also toll roads, are they not? [Edit-Maybe just I95?] And the 'lower' Merritt in New York (the Hutchinson River Parkway) is a tough route to drive especially in bad weather.

There's also the issue of merely getting out of Manhattan. What's the toll on the Tri-Boro bridge these days? Five bucks?
All Connecticut routes have been toll-free since 1989, with the CT Turnpike free since 1985. The Triborough/RFK Bridge is $5 cash/$4.50 E-ZPass. The Hutchinson had tolls removed in 1994.
 #605367  by DutchRailnut

were drifting cptain, can you bring us back on course ??
 #605828  by nightsky

Otto Vondrak wrote:Unless we have any more questions related to New Haven station on Metro-North... ??
I'm good thanks. Can you link me to MTA/Metro North?