Railroad Forums 

• NYSW 142 - October 2002 Excursion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#599520  by Otto Vondrak

Who's got a good memory? I just came across a cache of my slides from 2002 where it looks like I chased NYSW 142 on an excursion in New Jersey. Dunellen Railroad Days sounds familiar. I wasn't taking notes in those days. Anyone know when this trip was? The NYSW E-units were on the rear. Trip tied up at Bound Brook that evening. Anyone help with locations, times, dates?
 #599679  by Ken W2KB

I did see the 142 at Lebanon on the Raritan Valley Line (ex-CNJ). Probably the same excursions. A NJT engineer I know ran the diesels. I recall him looking over the manuals for the Es to refresh his memory during the layover at High Bridge on his regular NJT job a couple weeks earlier.

If it is the same, the trains ran from Dunellen to about the controlled siding at Annandale a mile or so west of Lebanon. The layover was in Dunellen in the remanants of the yard northeast of the station, not Bound Brook, as I recall, unless that was a different year.
 #599812  by OCtrainguy

I think it was Dunellen Railroad Days. I remember going up there to photograph the steam engine on the Raritan Valley Line. I started at Bound Brook and waited for a while before driving to Dunellen. The train was in the station for a while as I think there was an issue with the engine. There was a run made and I was one of many on an overpass as the train went by.
 #599916  by Eric S Strohmeyer

Good Evening Otto,

The trip you are talking about was for Dunellen's Railroad Days. It was not October however, but rather September 7-8, 2002. If you saw the train tied up in Bound Brook, it was Sunday, September 8th. The train would have been waiting for the CSAO crew to arrive to shuttle them back to North Bergen. If I recall correctly, the Conrail crew arrived at just about midnight.

The train actually laid over in the old CNJ yard in Dunellen on the evenings of Friday, Sept 6th and Saturday, Sept 7th. The last trip of the day went towards High Bridge. The first three round trips only went to North Branch station.

Dunellen's Railroad Days event ran for four years, 2000, 2002-2004. The terrorists attacks of September 11th, 2001 cancelled the event for that year. The last year was the year of the "incident at CP Cape, aka the Center Street fiasco " which has been beaten to death on these threads. Now, four years later, it is still very much a thorn in the side of NJT labor. Today, the URHS in Boonton is the recipient of that anger all these years later.

Hope that is of some help.

Eric S. Strohmeyer
 #600132  by Otto Vondrak

Eric S Strohmeyer wrote:The last year was the year of the "incident at CP Cape, aka the Center Street fiasco " which has been beaten to death on these threads. Now, four years later, it is still very much a thorn in the side of NJT labor.
Eric, thanks for the data, not interested in internal labor disagreements. I'm just trying to pinpoint the date of my pictures. I'll post some when I get to a scanner this week. Thanks!

-otto-
 #601153  by Sirsonic

Eric S Strohmeyer wrote:Now, four years later, it is still very much a thorn in the side of NJT labor. Today, the URHS in Boonton is the recipient of that anger all these years later.

Eric S. Strohmeyer
To correct the record, anything that did or didnt happen with the 142 bears no relation to anything involving the URHS in Boonton.
 #603976  by Donko142

Thank you Sirsonic, I also beleive that the issues of that year have no effect on anyone's current issues in 2008. As you pointed out "anything that did or did not happen" Being one of the only 4 people there that night, it was scary to find out in the days to come that dozens of people knew what happened. Let a dead horse stay dead.

Be safe out there (and turn of your cell phone)

D.
 #612111  by Otto Vondrak

Okay folks, as promised, I started to scan some slides and upload them to my Flickr... now here's the kicker... some of my slides are hastily marked "October 2002" and some are marked "September 28, 2002." I seem to remember that there may have been two trips in quick succession over a couple of weekends, because the shot labeled September was taken from an overpass in Boonton, NJ, while the others marked "October" are from Dover, Raritan, and Denville. Anyway, check out my photostream Susquehanna set:

http://flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/se ... 133998317/

Corrections to location names and especially corrections on the dates are welcome!! I know Eric suggested the trip that tied up in Bound Brook was indeed Sept. and not Oct. Thank you...

-otto-
 #612138  by Ken W2KB

Dates I can't say, but the two labeled Raritan look like they may have been taken on the curve just east of the bridge over Route 202, e.g., somewhat west of Raritan Yard but before getting to Route 202. Too dark for me to look for the red rock there from the train tonight.
 #612161  by Jtgshu

Ken W2KB wrote:Dates I can't say, but the two labeled Raritan look like they may have been taken on the curve just east of the bridge over Route 202, e.g., somewhat west of Raritan Yard but before getting to Route 202. Too dark for me to look for the red rock there from the train tonight.
Thats a roger, those photos labeled Raritan are from the curve that is west of Raritan yard, east of the route 202 bridge where the Wegmans is.
 #612167  by Otto Vondrak

Jtgshu wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:Dates I can't say, but the two labeled Raritan look like they may have been taken on the curve just east of the bridge over Route 202, e.g., somewhat west of Raritan Yard but before getting to Route 202. Too dark for me to look for the red rock there from the train tonight.
Thats a roger, those photos labeled Raritan are from the curve that is west of Raritan yard, east of the route 202 bridge where the Wegmans is.

Thanks, that does sound familiar, I remember being excited to find a Wegman's (since I had just come from Rochester).

All the photos are now up, including the end of the day at Bound Brook. Thanks for your help!

-otto-