Railroad Forums 

• Canaan Railroad Days and Housatonic Excursions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#423737  by fordhamroad

-Dutch, thank you, But Of Course.
-I was asking if a trip might be planned using TWO trains, coordinated. Change at Stamford or New Haven. It would allow each railroad to do its own part In some ways, twice as much fun for the fans?
-or perhaps, fans could make their way to Stamford on their own, and Metro North could book the trip using CDOT?
-if the trip connected with the Valley RR, that would make THREE trains.
Wow!
-Am not sure how the economics could work out. Just an idea to explore. The constraints of time, distance, worthy goals, cost, equipment, crews, rules, insurance and money would all have to be considered.
-maybe I should just take a ride on Amtrak?

Roger

#423787  by alewifebp

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:I can assure you, Pittsfield can't be done in one day. We've done all the research, and the Canaan trip just about killed all of us (the staff). We're not interested in putting in 12-15 hours on board the train, even if the customers are...we have 2-3 hours of prep time in the morning, and an hour at least to clean up in the evening. Sorry....

Jim
It was quite a long day. I heard some griping from some of the non-foamers (the normals) about the length of the trip. And if anyone remembers another problem, the toilets. Enough said.

Given these issues, smaller trips like the Century of Third Rail is definitely the way to go.
 #780616  by Rick Abramson

After a long absence, the Housatonic RR might be participating in Canaan RR days this year. Talks about this are now underway.
Plans call for possibly running excurions push/pull with HRRC GP35s and Berkshire Scenic coaches between Canaan and Gt. Barrington. Plans also call for 2 GP35s and the HRRC caboose to be displayed on the wye in Canaan. We'll keep you posted on this.

Rick Abramson
Sup't Operations, HRRC
 #780778  by RussM

Rick - Good to hear that the railroad may be back in Railroad Days. I am sure it would generate a lot of interest, considering the success of the Mas Bay RRE excursions the past two years. On another subject, are you a member of the HRRC forum at Yahoo Groups ? Those guys are always hungry for up to date info on the operations of the Housatonic RR, and would love to get it from someone in the know.
 #780855  by RRBUFF

I remember the days back in the 1960's when the Connceticut Valley Railroad Museum ran up to Canaan Railroad Days with VRR #97 from Danbury and ran shuttles on the then New Haven RR. . We could fill up the train with passengers as fast as we could sell tickets. There is a Video " Rustic New England Steam" by Crestline Studios which was made of old films of the trips.
 #780895  by Rick Abramson

Russ:

No, I am not familiar with an HRRC forum. What is the url? I will certainly check it out.
My tentative plans for Railroad Days is to put 2 GP35s and the caboose on display on the North leg of the wye. . .open to the public and also run excursions during the day between Canaan and Gt. Barrington with the RS-3m 9935.
I will certainly keep all of you updated.

Regards,
Rick
 #780972  by DutchRailnut

Rick Abramson wrote:Russ:

No, I am not familiar with an HRRC forum. What is the url? I will certainly check it out.
My tentative plans for Railroad Days is to put 2 GP35s and the caboose on display on the North leg of the wye. . .open to the public and also run excursions during the day between Canaan and Gt. Barrington with the RS-3m 9935.
I will certainly keep all of you updated.

Regards,
Rick
The forum is at :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HRRC/
and congrats on new job

Jaap
 #780996  by Noel Weaver

RRBUFF wrote:I remember the days back in the 1960's when the Connceticut Valley Railroad Museum ran up to Canaan Railroad Days with VRR #97 from Danbury and ran shuttles on the then New Haven RR. . We could fill up the train with passengers as fast as we could sell tickets. There is a Video " Rustic New England Steam" by Crestline Studios which was made of old films of the trips.
I well remember that week plus in Canaan, I was trip chairman of the 97 trips for three different organizations and the New
Haven Railroad and it was a huge amount of work. I still have much of the records and paperwork for that affair, a great
time was had by all and it was worth the work. I took a long vacation that August, 1968 and after the affair in Canaan was
finished and I got the funds deposited in a safe place, I took off for a couple of weeks to Canada riding the NG in
Newfoundland one year before the end of the through passenger service but that's a different story.
While I don't think you will see steam again on that operation I am pleased that it will be resurrected again after a very
long absence and I wish all well in this effort.
Noel Weaver
 #781201  by Jeff Smith

I'll have to dig but I think I've got some railraod pics in Newfoundland from when I went camping up there in the late 60's. Back on topic: good news on the Canaan RR days. I've been wanting to make a summer excursion up there with my kids, who are 4 and 6. to ride some of the old trackage. Any chance they could coordinate this with a rail fan trip from Danbury similar to last year?
 #781213  by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:Any chance they could coordinate this with a rail fan trip from Danbury similar to last year?
Even if they could, what would they ride in? Housatonic has no passenger equipment. Once you factor in passenger liability insurance, the costs of running such a trip become prohibitive.

-otto-