• UTA rebuilt Comet Cars

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ljeppson

I took my first ride on UTA Frontrunner's rebuilt Jersey Comet cars on 10/3/2008. I thought you might like my observations:

http://www.utahtransit.us/cto1.htm

Also, does anyone here know the builder of these cars and other stats?
  by MEC407

by ApproachMedium

Nice, the page you listed is blank and doesnt have any information.
The comet cars that you rode in down in Utah were originally built by Pullman Standard for the NJDOT and Erie Lackawanna.

http://hobokenterminal.com/comet1.html
All the information you'll need to know about their original build.
  by Chessie GM50

Try this

(Original link was a dud)
  by ApproachMedium

Chessie GM50 wrote:Try this

Gotta love how they have the shoreliner information all messed up.
  by MEC407

ApproachMedium wrote:Nice, the page you listed is blank and doesnt have any information.
railroad.net decided to drop the last character from the URL I posted, which resulted in the blank page you saw.
  by Kaback9

ApproachMedium wrote:
Chessie GM50 wrote:Try this

Gotta love how they have the shoreliner information all messed up.
What did you expect its wikipedia, people like to change it.
  by PullmanCo

As far as that Wikipedia article goes, perhaps the various permutations of the "Comet" (so-called) ought to get their own pages. Lumping Shoreliners, Horizon Fleet, BTC/CTC1s and all of NJT's varied Comets together is a mistake of the highest order. Furthermore, Comet IAs and IBs have very little in common with each other, never mind having anything in common with the Pullman Standard Comets, BBD Comets or Alstom Comet Vs; each ought to get their own page on Wikipedia, or be lumped together in a page called "NJ Transit Rolling Stock" or something, especially since "Comet" is NJT-specific (IINM).

(At least the Wikipedia page on Amfleets got a good cleaning up. Opening an article with the words "Amfleet, also called 'Amcans' by railfans", is not what you want to see when you're looking for basic information on the particular railcar.)
  by oknazevad

PullmanCo wrote:As far as that Wikipedia article goes, perhaps the various permutations of the "Comet" (so-called) ought to get their own pages. Lumping Shoreliners, Horizon Fleet, BTC/CTC1s and all of NJT's varied Comets together is a mistake of the highest order. Furthermore, Comet IAs and IBs have very little in common with each other, never mind having anything in common with the Pullman Standard Comets, BBD Comets or Alstom Comet Vs; each ought to get their own page on Wikipedia, or be lumped together in a page called "NJ Transit Rolling Stock" or something, especially since "Comet" is NJT-specific (IINM).

(At least the Wikipedia page on Amfleets got a good cleaning up. Opening an article with the words "Amfleet, also called 'Amcans' by railfans", is not what you want to see when you're looking for basic information on the particular railcar.)
Well, feel free to change it, as I have before. That's the beauty of Wikipedia: if you see something you know is wrong, you can fix it! (A bit of a pet peeve of mine when people complain about the content of a wiki article, but do nothing to help the project out.)
  by PullmanCo

That's a great deal of work, and sources for good information are somewhat lacking.
  by oknazevad

PullmanCo wrote:That's a great deal of work, and sources for good information are somewhat lacking.
Always true, especially in an area of semi-obscure, and fairly detailed technical differences. It's funny that so many ride these Pullman-derived cars (neglecting the late 1As and semi-late 1Bs for the moment). After all, no less than 6 commuter agencies use versions, as well as Amtrak. You'd think someone might write a definitive work on the cars that, in my opinion, saved commuter rail from oblivion.

But alas, all I can do is try to piece together info from various sources, and help stitch something together readable.

(P.S. you think its lacking now, you should have seen it a few months ago when it was little more than a poorly edited copy-and-paste job from what I can only assume was a bunch of internet forum postings. Some real yeoman's work to get it even readable. I wish I could take credit.)
  by PullmanCo

I think I remember the older "Comet (passenger car)" Wikipedia page. It spoke of "old and tired-out cars that were not meant for commuter service anyway" when referring to the hodgepodge of second-hand cars that used to run on the NJCL. Real encyclopedic.