Railroad Forums 

• please explain ZTS maps

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#586049  by Colin154

I would like to know the way you decipher this 06 762 99 99 (customer) or 06 754 97 97 (customer), etc.

Thank you.

Colin
Florida
 #586697  by BR&P

I don't have the exact key to each number but generally speaking the railroad breaks down their line into districts and zones, and assigns a number to each track, siding or spur. Under the old NYC DICCS maps for example, you could tell whether a track was on the north or south side of the main, and whether it was facing or trailing point in a given direction. If I'm correct, the ZTS acronym was a Conrail term and is now used by NS on former CR lines. Other carriers probably have similar inventories but may use a different name. Hopefully someone here can answer your question on specific meaning for each part of the inventory number if they have a special meaning.
 #586776  by Colin154

UPRR Engineer wants to know why.

I have several maps that I have imported into Autocad and traced them. Along with the trace I would like to include the text info and undestand why it is used. Eventually I would like to incorporate this into a scale model railroad.

I have found information regarding the symbols and some information about zone tracks spotting. However, the descrition is lackinng beyond the normal lower numbers - ie; 01 10. I would like to understand what 99 99 is, or 97 97 is?

Colin
Florida
 #592660  by Otto Vondrak

Colin154 wrote:UPRR Engineer wants to know why.

I have several maps that I have imported into Autocad and traced them. Along with the trace I would like to include the text info and undestand why it is used. Eventually I would like to incorporate this into a scale model railroad.

I have found information regarding the symbols and some information about zone tracks spotting. However, the descrition is lackinng beyond the normal lower numbers - ie; 01 10. I would like to understand what 99 99 is, or 97 97 is?

Colin
Florida
Hard to answer your question without knowing what railroad you're talking about. Surprised your maps don't come with a key... no one memorizes those catalog numbers, they are merely there for billing and tracking purposes.