Railroad Forums 

• What does "Military Conductor" mean?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#582412  by rightnow1

Norfolk Southern is listing an opening for "military conductors." Does this mean that only veterans are eligible to apply? Or does it mean that the conductors are working only with cars containing military freight? Does NFS have trains dedicated to military freight?
 #585920  by Wazzzy

NS has a "military conductor" program designed to allow service members get a fair chance at applications and interviews. Since service members can't just 'go away' from their military obligations for an interview whenever they want. therefore, NS has selected key locations close to military bases to allow those applicants a better chance of getting a day off and attend. everyone still has their I-net application and resume to complete and have screened by NS.

NO, NS does not prefer military applicants. NS is just giving them a fair shot at job openings. active duty applicants just can't attend far away hiring sessions on a moments notice.

I recently retired from the military. I was lucky to be able to attend as 5 regular hiring sessions with permission from my commanding officer. the military conductor hiring session was my 6th hiring session in 3 months and the process was the same: briefings, testing, interviews, wait for hiring session results. nothing was different from a regular public hiring session.

unfair to regular public applicants?? not true. in my military conductor hiring session, there were 20 applicants. after all the briefings, testing and interviews, only 3 were selected for hire. the standards for hire remain the same for ALL applicants.

here is the interesting part. since most applicants still have a military obligation to complete, after being selected for hire, the background investigation and physical are still required. the applicant can choose WHEN and WHERE they want to work. this allows the applicant to complete their military obligation and be ready for work when they are available.

i was lucky to be selected for hire 3 months prior to my military obligation terminated. without getting into all the details, i actually started working for NS 45 days prior to terminating from the military.

Does NS have a military conductor program - YES
Does NS recognize the special skill sets and training of military applicants - YES
Does NS prefer military applicants over public - NO
Does NS conduct the same briefings, testing and interviews for military applicants - YES
Does NS apply the same standards for hire to all applicants - YES