• Railfanning New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by peach2605

Howdy folks,

I am a railfan from Switzerland, and touring through New England, currently at Waterville, ME. I've been travelling along the P+W to Worchester, MA, then following the NECR to White River Jct, VT, going to Rutland, VT and onto Burlington into Canada, however, haven't seen any trains at all. Like if somebody grabbed them from the layout and packed them away. Although I stopped at one yard or another, no motive power was around. :(
Today I arrived at Waterville, hearing a defect detector talking, guess it was MP 105, but unfortunately, I have no clue where that is. The map software on my laptop shows there is an NS/ST route into Waterville, but no idea where that milepost could have been. Checked out the Waterville yard, but except for a pair of Guilford switchers, not a lot around. I am looking for motive power painted in their new Pan Am livery, has anybody got some hints where to go to be successful? Next stop is planned at Bar Harbour via Bangor, hope to see some MMA power there, if somebody has information that could be helpful, this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
  by MEC407

Sorry to hear that you didn't see anything at Waterville; usually there are many locomotives there.

I guarantee that you won't see anything rail-related at Bar Harbor -- that town is located on Mount Desert Island and there are no railroads on the island! The nearest tracks would be on the mainland in the small city of Ellsworth, but those tracks (remnants of the old Calais Branch of the Maine Central Railroad) are currently inactive, although they are in the process of being restored by the Downeast Scenic Railroad.

You might see some Pan Am power and some MMA power at Northern Maine Junction, which is near Bangor.

Further south (in South Portland) is Rigby Yard. Usually there are a few locomotives there at any given time.
  by peach2605

Hi MEC407,

Thanks for your quick reply and the information.
Yeah, it's kinda strange. I knew railtraffic was very light at this part of the US, but I hoped for catching one or another train while departing from a yard and then chasing it further down the line. But nothin' except for an NECR train entering White River Jct Yard and starting to switch, so I could make a few shots. But guess what......the front engine was a leasing unit that came from the UP..........I've shot a hundred pics of the UP in the west, but finding "another" UP unit where you don't expect it, is somewhat annoying.

I know there ain't anything in Bar Harbor, railroad-wise, however, my wife is travelling with me and wanted to go there, so that's the reason why going there. How big are my chances to find something at Searsport?

Thanks for the info on the South Portland yard, that sounds promising..... :wink:

Cheers Peter
  by MEC407

Bar Harbor (and all of Mount Desert Island) is beautiful. It's a nice place to visit, even if there aren't any trains there. :wink:

MMA has a branch that goes to Searsport, and PAR has a branch that goes to Bucksport, which is not far from Searsport. I don't know how much activity those branches see or what their schedules are like, though.

Also worth checking out are Danville Junction and Lewiston Junction -- both are located in Auburn. Danville Junction is where PAR interchanges with the St. Lawrence & Atlantic, and Lewiston Junction is where the St. L&A's locomotive shop is. There is also a small intermodal yard near Lewiston Junction. Both of these places would be on your way to Rigby Yard from where you're coming from, so it can't hurt to stop by and take a peek.

Good luck! Heaven knows that it's not easy to catch trains up here. I can't even remember the last time I saw a PAR freight... :( I do get to see Amtrak's Downeaster several times a day; I guess that's better than nothing. :wink:
  by peach2605

ok, thanks for the hints, I will try my luck.
Would Augusta be interesting too? Seems to be a major PAR yard according to their map....

Well, you're right on Amtrak, at least they have a timetable one could figure the time, at least at the first departure station... :-D
  by Noel Weaver

Here's two suggestions, both in New Hampshire.
Go to North Conway and ride the "Notch Train" which is a very scenic ride through the White Mountains.
Ride the cog railway up Mount Washington. It is still mostly steam powered but dress warm, the summit of Mount Washington can be pretty chilly in September.
Both are well worth riding.
Noel Weaver
  by jonnhrr

Also I would suggest a detour to go to the WW&F railroad in Wiscasset, which can be reached on route 1 off of I-295. You could then continue up to Searsport via Route 1through Belfast. The WW&F is the only Maine 2 foot gauge RR still running on a portion of the original roadbed. Unfortunately they only run on Saturdays, but during the week you might get lucky and find someone there working and be able to look around. There is also the Maine Narrow Gauge RR in downtown Portland.

Jon
  by downeaster

If you can get to Bucksport I find the most activity in the AM. Mostly switching the mill, there are periods where there is no movement but usually two or three units there with a variety cars around. I have found most of the activity at Searsport if any is at night and spotty. J
  by Cosmo

jonnhrr wrote: The WW&F is the only Maine 2 foot gauge RR still running on a portion of the original roadbed.
Jon
That's not exactly true.
I would say there the only steam powered 2'er running on original roadbed, but then Sandy River RR park in Phillips has a steamer borrowed from MNGRR, and also runs on original row.
I would definitely try for WW&F though. Top notch operation al the way!
  by MEC407

peach2605 wrote: Would Augusta be interesting too? Seems to be a major PAR yard according to their map....
I don't know of any big yards in Augusta. In fact, I don't know of much rail activity in Augusta at all. The nearest major yard would definitely be Waterville.
  by consist

Skip Augusta...nothing there.
Best bet to see actual locos moving actual freight: Lewiston Junction/Danville Junction (Auburn ME). These two are a mile apart and encompass four very small but active yards, the SLR/Pan Am interchange, and numerous customer sidings visible from roads.
Also worthwhile: Northern Maine Junction just outside Bangor (technically town of Hermon, by route 2); and Rigby Yard in South Portland as mentioned.
You were not clear about your itinerary - where you started, and where you want to end up. If you have plans to come back through eastern Massachusetts, your chances to see Pan Am livery go up quite a bit, as you can follow the Pan Am mainline. There are yards and chances to see switchers and/or road freights in Lawrence, Lowell, Ayer, and Gardener MA.
  by Noel Weaver

If you just want to see Guilford trains, probably the best bet is the railfan bridge at the east end of the East Deerfield Yard.
Several road jobs work both east and west out of that terminal and there is yard activity there too.
Many other places could be hit or miss but I think your chances of seeing something here are quite good. If you happen to
catch a westbound train leaving the yard, it is not too difficult to chase it on Route 2 (The Mohawk Trail) west up the hill
and toward North Adams and the Hoosac Tunnel.
One negative on this particular area is the fact that you are getting into the fall foilage season and that brings out rather
heavy traffic on roads like this one.
Noel Weaver
  by peach2605

Thanks on all the information, guys, I really appreciate.
I was in Northern Maine Jct yesterday and got to see 2 PAR trains as well as one unit in their latest blue/black livery. I stopped by the MMA office located there and was amazed how friendly people were. They had me signed a release form and I was allowed to freely tour their yard.....however, except for the remote controlled BAR switcher and a few cars, absolutely nothing there.
Today went through Bucksport and saw the PAR switching, so I could do a picture there. Also found the WW&F close to Wicasset, however, nothing going on (as somebody mentioned, they operate only on Sat) and nobody around. Have caught the Maine Central shortly before the sun went down behind the trees today, and probably will shoot it again tomorrow before heading off to the 2 yards in Auburn.

Cheers Peter
  by Steve Zuppa

Peter,
I wish I had known you were going to be in the area of the WW&F. If you would like to try again, either today (Thursday) or tomorrow, I would meet you there and give you the grand tour and take you for a ride over the line. You can let me know via this forum or call me on my cell (508)789-9714 with the time that would work for you. Just give me a half hour's notice.
Steve Zuppa
Vice-president
WW&F Railway Museum
  by peach2605

Steve,

Thanks a lot for providing me your cell number, unfortunately I've read your message too late and I am already on my way down to Boston, flying back home tomorow night. I really appreciate your and the others help, I probably will start a new thread next time I am coming over for railfanning, that might be very helpful....

Cheers Peter