Railroad Forums 

• NYCTA train operator signal test

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#578255  by jnh26

can any one who took the signal test, for the train operator job, please tell me how hard it was, I'm hearing that it is very hard,do they really let you go you if you don't get a 100, and also what % of people actually pass,I'm a little worried about leaving my current job if they can let you go if you fail, thank you
 #579141  by gjk1716

Jnh26,

I was not a T/O, but I worked in NYCTs Track Dept for many years. I took several classes, and the instrcutors would go over the information so often that it was almost impossible to fail. The guy who runs the track inspector course quizzed us daily until we knew the measurments inside and out. It costs money for hiring and performing background checks, so I don't think they would be too quick to dump new hires.

-G-
 #608289  by soldiertim

I am currently enrolled in Conductor School in Atlanta. It is true you must pass the signal's test with 100%. The test consists of a picture of the signal aspect. You must write the correct name as well as the full signal indication VERBATIM. But...you have 6 chances to pass. It is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but we are only seeing less than 2% who fail because of the signals test. We lose many more to the strict minimum 85% overall academic average, and the field competencies tests than we do the signals test. SAFETY HERE IS JOB #1. Violate a safety rule....you go home. But it's worth every bit of it.
 #608370  by RearOfSignal

soldiertim wrote:I am currently enrolled in Conductor School in Atlanta. It is true you must pass the signal's test with 100%. The test consists of a picture of the signal aspect. You must write the correct name as well as the full signal indication VERBATIM. But...you have 6 chances to pass. It is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but we are only seeing less than 2% who fail because of the signals test. We lose many more to the strict minimum 85% overall academic average, and the field competencies tests than we do the signals test. SAFETY HERE IS JOB #1. Violate a safety rule....you go home. But it's worth every bit of it.
NYCT is training in Atlanta?
 #618817  by pc motorman

Oh, its not that hard if you just read the rule book you will get to know the signals !
The signal lights are not all that many, remember trackside signs are also called signals.
If you put your mind to it, you'll do fine.

Fail to prepare, or you ,must prepare to fail.
 #639906  by motorman1

Dont worry..By the time you take the signal test you will know signals better than the english language..! The TSS instructors burn signals into your brain..!
 #639966  by slchub

jnh26 wrote:can any one who took the signal test, for the train operator job, please tell me how hard it was, I'm hearing that it is very hard,do they really let you go you if you don't get a 100, and also what % of people actually pass,I'm a little worried about leaving my current job if they can let you go if you fail, thank you
The one thing you must remember with leaving your job for a new career is this. Your salary is dependant upon the interpretation of the signals presented to you so that you may operate your train in a safe manner. Anything else is unacceptable. Look at it as a new challenge.

Would you want a Doctor to examine you who squeaked by med school?