Railroad Forums 

• Milwaukee Road 38A

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#573407  by atsf sp

I was reading in the latest Trains magazine that the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay is selling or scrapping some of its older and in worse condition locomotives and Cars. and I noticed that E9 38A was among this list. This surprised me since I read an article on how this was next in restoration. Does anyone know where it may be going. Hopefully it won't be scrapped. How much would this engine go for on the market now, since it is in bad condition? Hopefully it will be saved.
 #591704  by atsf sp

Does anyone know when Green Bay recieved this engine and if it was always open to the public for viewing?
 #599947  by westr

Milwaukee Road #38A is listed for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website for $27,000. There are a number of other items from the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay listed for sale as well, including Wisconsin Central GP30 #715 for $25,000. Anybody know what is going on? I can understand if the museum is just trying to find better homes for some things they don't expect to get around to and get some funds for their other restoration projects in the process, but they shouldn't be planning to scrap what they can't sell.
 #609061  by Tadman

I've heard a big decision was made to rationalize the collection. As we all know the money situation is good nowhere right now. The museum has a collection similar in scale to IRM and doesn't have nearly the population to draw from as other major museums outside Chicago and New York. Much as I hate to see some stuff go, in the long run it will ensure a strong future for key equipment. Further, I can't imagine a GP30 or E9 will be cut up - someone somewhere will buy either. I think they are more focused on cutting up the rust buckets and dead weight. On the other hand, if either the geep or E fits "rust bucket", it's not worth saving for anybody. It's not like either class is under-represented in preservation or operation.
 #615931  by atsf sp

westr wrote:Milwaukee Road #38A is listed for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website for $27,000. There are a number of other items from the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay listed for sale as well, including Wisconsin Central GP30 #715 for $25,000. Anybody know what is going on? I can understand if the museum is just trying to find better homes for some things they don't expect to get around to and get some funds for their other restoration projects in the process, but they shouldn't be planning to scrap what they can't sell.
The price is down to 20000 on Ozark. http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/mlwe938a.htm
 #661563  by milwman

I was insied 38A in the mid 80's when I was a kid. The pictures I have (not digital guys) showed it was rusting away then. I visited a couple of years ago and it was in really rough shape. I HATE to see anything Milw go, but sitting outside in the elements all these years hasn't done it any good. Hopefully it will find a home that will restore it, or cut it up and end its misery.
 #673195  by atsf sp

Its down to 10,000 and has OBO after it? What do those letters mean on the price?