• CSX SIGNALS

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bpat

I will be attending conductor school in october and i wanted to get a heads up on the signals. i found this web site and i was wondering if it was the correct signal structure that i will be learning.

http://deltareum.com/signals.htm

The Signals Quizzer, Helpful Resources For Railroad Engineers and Conductors, And A Whole Lot More

check it out and let me know if this will be usefull or a waste of my time. any tips or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. also i was told that csx uses seaboard signals.is this true?

i will be working out of willard,oh
Last edited by bpat on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CSX Conductor

First of all in order to help you we need to know where you'll be working. The signals on the link you posted are NORAC (Northeast Operating Rules Advisory Committe) and CSX trains that operate on NORAC territory on host railroads would use them. On CSXT's own property they have three different signal systems. On former Con-Rail territories basically use these NORAC signals simply because it used to be NORAC and it is cheaper to adapt these signals as opposed to re-programming all of the signals. On some parts of the system you'll find "B&O" signals. Lastly, the majority of the CSX system uses CSXT's own signals. If I were you I would figure out what system you'll be working on before studying these as it is very easy to get mixed up because the same exact signal aspect on one system could mean something totally different on one of the others.
  by roadster

Well he did say he will be working at Willard, Ohio. Which most territories out of there are C&O, so thats where you need to start. FYI, some Willard crews do run on the former Conrail Indianapolis Line from Willard to Cleveland and Buffalo which is NORAC (former Conrail). But I strongly suggest you study C&O as Willard was a C&O facility and all routes in and out of Willard are C&O signals.
  by CSX Conductor

My apologies, I missed the part about Willard the first time I read it. :(
  by QB 52.32

While this does not provide an answer to bpat, and with all due respect to roadster, Willard OH was a B&O facility named after the railroad's first president who hailed from the clock-making family whose homestead in Grafton MA is now a museum known as the "Willard clock museum". Also, being that
Willard is along the old B&O Balto.-Chicago route, wasn't the signal system upgraded at the time of
the Conrail split?
  by Ironman

I'd say don't worry about it now. When you get down to Atlanta, they will tell you what signals you need to study. No point in clogging you brain with infromation you don't need, from a source that is incorrect.
  by roadster

My appolgies, Willard was a B&O facility. However CSX teaches 3 primary signal types depending on their region C&O, Seaboard, NORAC. While mostly simular, there are a few differences which need to be ID'd. In the Ohio region they teach C&O signals and I still recommend that is the system he should practice. I also aggree with Ironman and say don't fret the stuff untill you get to the training center. They have all you need to study the type they want you to learn and instructors are very helpful. Good luck
  by mmi16

QB 52.32 wrote:While this does not provide an answer to bpat, and with all due respect to roadster, Willard OH was a B&O facility named after the railroad's first president who hailed from the clock-making family whose homestead in Grafton MA is now a museum known as the "Willard clock museum". Also, being that
Willard is along the old B&O Balto.-Chicago route, wasn't the signal system upgraded at the time of
the Conrail split?
Daniel Willard was far from the 1st President of the B&O. He reign was from approximately 1905 to 1945 (I don't have the books available to me at present for the exact dates). He was responsible for keeping the B&O a viable entity during some of the most trying of economic and financial times.

The town of Willard was originally named Chicago Jct. and was renamed in Daniel Willard's honor.
  by QB 52.32

Wow, I thought his presidency was much earlier! Thanks for the correction. :wink:
  by scooterz66

I am currently working out of Willard. don't worry about NORAC for the moment. You'll only need to know them if you work the road to cleveland. Only a small part of the work they do. I would say to learn seaboard.
  by Zane

What signals are used between Charleston, SC and Florence, SC or Columbia, SC?