Railroad Forums 

• RDG #15 donated to RCT&HS

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#569078  by kp5308

Reading Company private car #15 (Bethlehem Steel 1924)has been donated to RCT&HS by the widow of the car's owner. It is fully Amtrak compliant, & will begin the journey across the country shortly. A stipulation of the donation is that the car be kept under roof, which will be met by the society. What a gift!!!!!
 #569369  by Franklin Gowen

Truly an awe-inspiring bequest to the Society! Thank you for posting this wonderful news. I am thrilled that this example of "private varnish" will soon be back in home territory. I've long wondered about this car's adventures since it left the Reading.
 #569543  by kp5308

From what I understand, the car has the original interior layout, & other than modifications necessary to meet Amtrak's requirements, and updates to the kitchen appliances, is pretty much in original condition :-D
 #569903  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's some pics of the 15, in a somewhat "unusual" paint scheme: READING #15
 #570250  by geep39

I know there's a lot of excitement about this acquisition, but it is WAY TOO premature. From what I understand, it will be several months before the car is received. I believe RCT&HS policy is not to release info until the item is WELL IN HAND. "Murphy's Law" is in full effect here (if something can go wrong, it will). Look at the posts about GP-7 #621, which was made by one of the guys who worked on it. That unit was acquired several years before it was reported here. I understand that this acquisition was "worked on" for at least 15-20 years. Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for the people involved to report on it? Channel your enthusiasm carefully.