Railroad Forums 

• Northeastern Fallen Flags RPM Meet - Oct 11 2008

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#556906  by CAR_FLOATER

FYI -

Announcing the Northeastern Fallen Flags RPM Meet
A Pre-Conrail Modeling Event
October, 11th, 2008
LH Taylor Firehouse
High Bridge, NJ

Greetings, and please allow me to announce an update for the proposed Fallen
Flags - themed Railroad Prototype Modelers meeting that Paul Tupaczewski and
I have been working on; we have decided to include the other pre-Conrail
Fallen Flags such as CNJ, LV, RDG, LHR etc. since they are all relevant to
each other. This meet is for modelers to get together and bring any models
they are working on or have finished, for display and discussion and
learning. Slide shows and power point presentations will be presented on
modeling topics as well as prototype information, and clinics would be given
for learning new modeling techniques, all with a bent towards the
pre-Conrail, pre-1976 eastern fallen flags. Please note: It is not really
our intent to exclude any modeling era, but to focus on a specific era and
set of roads, and the presentations will reflect that.

This will not be an "official" NMRA, ELHS or ARHS meeting, meaning
membership is not required in any particular organization; all are welcome.
It will just be a gathering of modelers getting together to share their
efforts and learn some new ideas, etc. There will not be any judging of any
kind, just display. This is all about sharing and learning about modeling in
a prototypical fashion.

The event will be held on Saturday, October 11th, 2008, at the LH Taylor
Firehouse in High Bridge, NJ, from 10 AM until 5 PM. High Bridge is easily
accessible from Interstate 78, NJ Route 22 and 31 and County Road 513, and
is not far from 206, 46 I-287 and I-80. While there is not yet any Saturday
service on the Raritan Valley Line to High Bridge, I would welcome
volunteers to provide transfer service between Somerville or Raritan and
High Bridge for those wishing to commute by rail.

Time permitting, we plan to offer a self-guided tour of the High Bridge
area, identifying local railroad landmarks of interest, such as the High
Bridge branch trail upon which SE-98 and ES-99 once trod, as well as the CNJ
station, etc...

For lunch, we will enlist the local pizzeria (Michaels) or the Mexican
Restaurant (Casa Maya) to bring in lunch, and will have soft drinks
available as well.

I invite all those who might be interested to send me an e-mail, OFF-LIST
PLEASE, so that I might gauge the interest and possible attendance figures
for such an event. The more attendees, the less it will cost so if you are
at all interested or if you have a presentation you can give, please let me
know. And please pass this information along to anyone you might feel is
interested. Further details, including flyers, directions, etc. will be
forthcoming.

Many thanks to all and I hope to see you in October!

Jim Harr
Bnchmark _AT_ embarqmail _DOT_ com
 #566488  by CAR_FLOATER

Just an update on the first annual Northeast Fallen Flags Railroad Prototype Meet-

First, a new Yahoo Group has been started to be the defacto place for ALL future information regarding the meet the meet at -http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neffrpm/
All memberships are moderated, so as to only allow interested parties to ask questions and use the other Yahoo Group features. Also, please use the e-mail contact of [email protected] for any future inquiries.

Second, while the date of Saturday October 11th from 12PM to 5 PM at the High Bridge NJ Fire House remains the same, we have still not settled on an admission price, but rest assured it will be very reasonable. As I said, please keep checking the official Yahoo Group for up to the minute info.

We have also not nailed down what vendors or historical societies will be in attendance, but in line with other RPM meets, groups like the ELHS and ARHS, and prototype model vendors like Short Line Products, Prime Mover Decals, and Amesville Shops will hopefully be in attendance.

As for prototype presentations, we will have both model and historical presentations covering the DL&W, Erie, CNJ, NYC, EL, and LV. Again, all will be announced on the Yahoo Group as they are confirmed.

We are really looking forward to bringing this event to you the public, especially to those of you who have never been to an RPM meet before.

Thanks,

The NEFFRPM Events Committee - Jim Harr, Paul Tupaczewski, Ralph Heiss and Dave Goessling
 #576759  by CAR_FLOATER

Northeastern Fallen Flags RPM Meet
October, 11th, 2008
LH Taylor Firehouse
High Bridge, NJ

The first annual Northeast Fallen Flags Railroad Prototype Modeling meet will take place on Saturday, October 11, 2008, at the LH Taylor Firehouse, 7 Maryland Avenue, High Bridge, NJ 08829. Hours are 9 AM until 5 PM. High Bridge is easily accessible from Interstate 78, NJ
Route 22 and 31 and County Road 513, and is not far from routes 206, 46 I-287 and I-80. While there is not yet any Saturday service on New Jersey Transit's Raritan Valley Line to High Bridge, we are working on signing up volunteers to provide transfer service between Somerville or Raritan and High Bridge for those wishing to commute by rail.

As with all RPM meets, the main focus of this gathering is for modelers to get together and bring any models they are working on or have finished, for display and discussion and learning. In addition to the model display, clinics by well known modelers are planned and slide shows and power point presentations will be presented on modeling topics as well as prototype information. Select vendors will be in attendance to offer their wares as well.

Clinics confirmed include:

Dave Goessling is preparing a self-guided tour of the High Bridge area, identifying local railroad and industrial landmarks of interest; the station, wye, Taylor Wharton plant and railroad, and a short walk down the branch. There will be a booklet including maps, photos and postcard views, descriptive text drawn from books, anecdotes and of course directions. If there's enough interest, Dave would like to open this walking tour to the general public, so suggestions, additions and new information is welcome for future editions!

Paul Tupaczewski: Analysis of the EL/CNJ operations of pool trains ES-99/SE-98

Jim Harr: Modeling the Lackawanna's Delaware River viaduct in HO scale

David Ramos: Rail-Marine Interaction on the West Side of Manhattan, discussing the NYC, Erie, and LV operations and modeling

Ralph Heiss will be setting up a display where he will be doing "live weathering"....Not really a hands-on clinic or presentation as such, but more of a live demonstration using chalks, airbrushes, and washes, in order to show the different techniques and how to use the different mediums to get the result you are looking for, and with plenty of inspirational photographs of both models and the prototype to hopefully get people interested in weathering their equipment. It has been said that a model is only as good as its paint (and weathering) job!

A pizza and pasta luncheon is planned. Admission, including lunch, is $15.00 at the door.

There will also be prototype model vendors in attendance, and those currently confirmed to attend are -

Stella Scale Models (laser cut prototype structure models in HO)

Shortline Products (Northeastern prototype RR models and parts in all scales)

Amesville Shops (Pre-1900 prototype HO scale car models)

We have created a Yahoo! Group for this meet; please visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neffrpm/
to sign up for the latest news. If you have a presentation or clinic you would like to show, or would like to inquire about vending, or can volunteer to pick up
commuters at Somerville or Raritan, please contact us at
[email protected].
Directions to the Firehouse will be posted on the Yahoo! site as well.

We hope to see you in October!

Jim Harr
Paul Tupaczewski
Ralph Heiss
Dave Goessling
 #576765  by CAR_FLOATER

Just a quick update for those who may be in the NY/NJ/PA area the weekend of October 11th............

We have five great presentations lined up for our first Northeastern Fallen Flags RPM Meet -

Dave Goessling is preparing a self-guided tour of the High Bridge area, identifying local railroad and industrial landmarks of interest; the station, wye, Taylor Wharton plant and railroad, and a short walk down the branch. There will be a booklet including maps, photos and postcard views, descriptive text drawn from books, anecdotes and of course directions. If there's enough interest, Dave would like to open this walking tour to the general public, so suggestions, additions and new information is welcome for future editions!

Paul Tupaczewski: Analysis of the EL/CNJ operations of pool trains ES-99/SE-98

Jim Harr: Modeling the Lackawanna's Delaware River viaduct in HO scale

David Ramos: Rail-Marine Interaction on the West Side of Manhattan, discussing the NYC, Erie, and LV operations and modeling

Ralph Heiss will be setting up a display where he will be doing "live weathering"....Not really a hands-on clinic or presentation as such, but more of a live demonstration using chalks, airbrushes, and washes, in order to show the different techniques and how to use the different mediums to get the result you are looking for, and with plenty of inspirational photographs of both models and the prototype to hopefully get people interested in weathering their equipment. It has been said that a model is only as good as its paint (and weathering) job!

There will also be prototype model vendors in attendance, and those currently confirmed to attend are -

Stella Scale Models (laser cut prototype models in HO)

Shortline Products (Northeastern prototype RR models and parts)

Amesville Shops (Pre-1900 prototype HO scale car models)

The meet will be held from 9AM to 5PM, and a pizza and pasta luncheon is planned. Admission, including lunch, is $15.00 at the door.

If you haven’t already done so, please join our Yahoo! Group for keeping up with all the latest info at -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neffrpm/

We hope to see you there for what we hope will be a re-occuring event!

Ralph Heiss
Jim Harr
Paul Tupaczewski
Dave Goessling
 #584873  by Steve F45

I hope to see some custom stuff like I see with the western guys. There is some crazy stuff they dream up out there.

If I had been able to get a bunch of the SD70's I wanted I would've loved to put them on display for what I had in mind for them.

Hey Car Floater, do you mind if I post the info for this event on moderailroadforums.com? get a little more exposure.