Railroad Forums 

• L.&H.R.Ry Cars at Phillipsburg

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#555482  by Paul Miller

One of my treks today carried me to Phillipsburg. A museum there has a few of the L.&H.R.Ry's dinosaurs there yet. Snow Flanger #105 and caboose #'s 18 & 16 are resting peacefully there yet, awaiting resotoration work. Figured I'd take a few shots for the guys who can't make it down to this end of NJ. The caboose shown is #18. #16 is in bad shape.Vandals have apparently broken the windows in these cars. Hopefully the fine historians at this museum will find the funds and help to refurbish these classics.Thankfully they were able to save them from the scrapheap.
pburgcars 008.1.jpg
pburgcars 004.1.jpg
pburgcars 001.1.jpg
Last edited by Paul Miller on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #555915  by Marty Feldner

Unfortunately, when the museum trucked the flanger in, the cupola had to be removed for a low clearance; it hasn't yet been restored.

The Phillipsburg Railroad Historians website, with more pictures and information:

http://www.prrh.org/

(The L&HR's low-side gondola #1600 is also there.)

The flanger, in better times, sitting in front of the Warwick shops; just before the Conrail takeover, then L&H carknocker Ed Crist had just repainted the 105. Originally NYO&W R-4, it had been bought by the L&HR after the O&W went belly-up in 1957. Reportedly, it was only used once (possibly twice) between being bought and the end in 1976.
Attachments:
105a.JPG
105a.JPG (234.11 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
 #556750  by GOLDEN-ARM

Truss rods and Arch bars? Wow, that's a classic. :-D Thanks for sharing those pics, guys.
 #569439  by RichM

I think I had asked this question related to another topic... but is this the flanger that was sitting just north of Route 202 above Lambertville, NJ for many years?

I believe it was this vintage, just not sure it was this particular unit.

Rich
 #570003  by scavenger34

Rich,

I believe the flanger on the Bel-Del has long since disintegrated. I think we discussed this car ina BR&W thread. I'll check.

Warren
 #571348  by Marty Feldner

The flanger at Lambertville wasn't the L&HR 105; the 105 spent its time between CR and the Phillipsburg Museum in storage at Ingersoll Rand- most of the time inside. See the 'Surviving L&HR Cabooses...' thread.

And, for G-A: to the arch-bar trucks and truss rods, add the fact that each of the two blades were individually controlled by two O&W steam locomotive tender brake cylinders, mounted vertically. No reason not to believe that they're still inside the carbody.