• POOL CANDIDATES

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by HOSS

I recently had taken the written test for Conductor here in Pittsburgh on 6/13/08 and passed. They then interviewed me and stated I would recieve a letter from csx in about two weeks. I then received the letter on 6/19/08, and it stated I was put in a pool of qualified candidates. This made no sense to me because when I applied for the job online, it stated there was 10 openings for this position. At the test session they stated they were only looking to hire four people. My interview went so well, the gentleman had me believing I had the job. I called HR in Jacksonville Florida and the woman I spoke with stated csx put all six of us that took the test in as pool candidates and I was the first in the pool. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone out there.
  by Brunomax

Hello, This same situation happened to me also. My letter said I wasn't selected for the position but I was put in a pool of qualified candidates. I received the letter on May 13 of this year and was pretty disappointed. Then just today July 3rd CSX called and said I needed to schedule a physical and would start on Aug. 3rd. They said they had left a message on my machine several weeks back and I never responded. I never had gotten the message due to storms and power outages etc. So they called again today and said everything was a GO.
I wouldn't get to concerned yet. They will probably be calling in a month or so.
  by trekker

What location did you interview at Brunomax?
  by HOSS

Hello, and thankyou very much for the reply about the pool candidates. I was interviewed for freight conductor here in pittsburgh to answer your question. When csx called you on july 3, did it show on your caller id where they were calling from?
  by Brunomax

I interviewed out of Lima, OH. Caller ID didn't state CSX but it was a 904 area code and did say JAX. I'm assuming it was from Jacksonville, FL.
  by trekker

I interviewed in Lima on June 19. I got the same letter, but she said I have a tentative start date for October. Do you know anything about the yard over there as far as number of Conductors, or anything. Was your application status on hold the entire time, or did it move to not selected? Why do you suppose they are hiring so many for the Lima yard. Also, you out of Dunkirk?
  by HOSS

Well, for now my application status says 100-hold. I hope I here something from CSX in the near future for the piitsburgh area.
  by HOSS

I'm trying real hard to figure out how these railroads operate,but things just don't make any sense to me at all. When I applied with csx, the application stated they were hiring ten conductors for the pittsburgh area. At the test session csx stated they were looking to hire only four. Now I'm a pool candidate and HR in Jacksonville stated to me yesterday they were not going to hire anyone in the pittsburgh area for the rest of the year but she said this could change at anytime. Let me know if anyone out there is going through the same thing.
  by trekker

Hey Hoss, Did they say anything to you about a "Tenative start date"?
  by HOSS

No, she did not give me a tenative start date. But she did say I will be in the next group of people to be hired in the pittsburgh area.
  by trekker

Hopefully this will work out for both of us. I haven't heard from HR in over a month, so I'm not sure where I stand right now. I went ahead and applied for a track worker job.
  by HOSS

I'm sure this will work out for the both of us indeed. After talking to HR, at this point it's a waiting game. I have a brother that works for the Union Railroad here in pittsburgh. He told me the same thing, your in just sit back and wait. GOOD LUCK!