Railroad Forums 

• Southern Railroad of New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#550687  by NJrailfan

Does anyone know if SRNJ or any railroad still uses the former southern division line between Winslow Junction and Vineland? The Railroad atlas I have labels it as active and owned by SRNJ. However, I have driven by sevral parts of the line it looks very overgrown, except for the area just south of Winslow. It also looks like the line is now owned by the state, as markers at several crossing say state property.
 #554468  by rrbluesman

The SRNJ 'operates' the Southern Division between Winslow and Vineland, or at least they used to. The track from Winslow south saw bridge problems and number of years ago that had shut the division down for a long time. The SRNJ wesbite says they operate that track now, althoguh the last number of time I have been down around the Jackson Rd crossing those rails do not look like they have seen a trainnin a very long time.
 #566890  by south jersey trains

The railroad crossing on rt 40 Buena Boro does not have crossing gates,one flashing signal post is missing,the other is very rusted and I have not seen a train there in years although Winslow Junction yard is very active and I believe a small bridge at Collings Lakes was repaired several years ago,the tracks look in good shape right through Buena Boro. It would be nice if you could hop on a train and go to Philadelphia convention center and they could come to the new Millville Thunderbolt Race track in Bridgeton ,but this is Cumberland, Cape May and Western Atlantic counties in South Jersey,we never get money from Trenton for passenger service.
 #652197  by WaitinginSJ

That's funny becuase we had to design a train station at the new race way for an architecture project about a year ago. Mind you being from South Jersey we knew nothing of trains except what we've seen in picture of Europe. So we designed single track stations in which the entire track was enclosed and was connected to a large retail space with a lounge and restaurant. Now that I've been introduced to mass transit, I realize that this would not make sense.
 #669828  by bystander

My son in-law took u s on a ride today and we saw Winslow crossing there were some caoches there that he said where by some united musem and were suppised to get fixed up. He said they were from a blue comet train? They look lioke nice cars and are they going to get fixxed?
 #672158  by Hulka

I just read and article on "Trains" that they, SRNJ, just received a grant (stimulus money) for track work.
A federal grant of nearly $1 million will rehabilitate 12 miles of Salem County short line trackage in Southern New Jersey, NJ.com has reported. The grant will upgrade the line from the current 5 mph restricted running speed to 25 mph. Not a whole lot faster but it is in a funny way. That track must be in really bad shape if it is 5 MPH only!
 #676994  by EDM5970

Again, there is a misunderstanding about the grant money to be used to rehabilitate the Salem line. The grant was made to Salem County, the actual owners of the line, and not to SRNJ. SRNJ merely operates the line as a contractor, on a temporary basis, and will not be receiving any of this money directly.
 #677395  by JJMDiMunno

WaitinginSJ wrote:When did that bridge break. I've lived near those tracks my whole life and maybe once seen a train on them.
I'm pretty sure it was 1999...although I don't have the exact date off the top of my head.

Mike DiMunno