• Patriot Corridor Branchlines

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by roberttosh

The only places I've heard where they are interested in building Intermodal terminals are in Ayer and Mickyville. Those two and the existing facilities in North Jersey would pretty much be able to cover New England. Most of the population/industry in CT is in the SW corner of the state where North Jersey isn't a bad option. Sure you could save a little in trucking from New Haven (vs from NJ), but on the other hand the rail rate would be quite a bit higher, the transit quite a bit longer and you'd have to pay for a new terminal. Don't see it ever happening but I've been wrong before...
  by RatherBeInColorado

PAS filed a notice of exemption on 5/30 which answers a few of the questions posed inthis thread.
(1) The ICC no longer has jurisdiction; railroad related filings are Surface Transportation Board for regulatory review.
(2) Filing speaks to Guilford [Pam Am as you like]'s motive; Guilford contributes the use of Springfield Terminal and B&M physical plant/trackage rights to PAS. NS contributes cash, notes and an option agreement valued at $140M to PAS.
(3) Ownership structure on the Guilford side is fractured; NS and B&M will jointly own and control PAS. Springfiled Terminal will operate the lines and establish rates and charges. This is the 'screw NS' clause ...
(4) Guilford describes its contribution as including New Haven - I read this as implying Guilford still has the 1982 vintage trackage rights to Cedar Hill.
(5) Purpose is to enhance rail service through the application of NS's cash contribution to Guilford's physical plant/trackage rights network to enhance the East/West movement of intermodal and automotive traffic.

- I read this as meaning little in Connecticut, though stranger things have happened on Guilford.
- cite to STB docket FD_35147_1
- document makes believe that more is to come as Guilford spends NS's money to move the traffic it feeds it.....

by roberttosh

With the Slurry train and the VRS interchange now running via North Bennington and with talk of the NECR interchange moving to Millers Falls, is there really much reason left for PAS to run North on the Conn River??