Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific Train Service, Portland, OR

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#512085  by OMIB

Anyone have any info on working in Portland, OR?? I've been called for a test and would appreciate any info anyone can provide me, i.e. where the trains run, where the crews run to, what the work is like. I've seen the stories of getting hired then laid off. It's a big move for me and I can't afford to get laid off soon as I finish training. Thanks..............

#512123  by UPRR engineer

Moving to employment forum. Changed you heading also there so others will know which RR your talking about.

Thats how the railroad is there bud, hopefully you wont get laid off, but most guys have a rocky start. For most, it usually takes about five years before you dont have to worry about being cut off. That just comes with the job.

We had a guy here who went by the name Steelwheels21 that works out of Portland. Think he did quite a bit of yard work when he first hired on. Id say you'd be doing the same.

Found his profile there buddy: http://www.railroad.net/forums/profile. ... ile&u=1767 Click on that and try to send him a PM. He'd be the best one to answer any questions you have. Been a long time since he's been here at RR.net. Maybe you can still get a hold of him.

Another thing ya might want to do, in his profile you can click on find all posts by Steelwheels. You might find some tidbits here and there about what he went threw after hiring on up there.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#517435  by SteelWheels21

Hey UPRR, glad you remembered me! I enjoyed shooting the poop with you.

Unfortunately I had to resign from UP due to recurring health problems (sleep apnea). There are a lot of parts of the job I miss, and I get wistful when I see a long freight pulling out of Portland for a nice daylight run through the gorge.

I'm not sure how helpful I can be with answering questions because I've been away so long. I hired on in 2005 and got fast-tracked pretty well due to the manpower shortage. I started out in the yard, worked for about 6 months then marked up to the road extra board. I was really close to being able to hold a regular turn and have no doubt I would have a safe assignment pretty much any direction we run in by now (I also was supposed to go into engine service, another thing I missed out on). I wish I could log on to the site now and see where I would be seniority wise.

What I DO remember is the effort by the RR at the time to combine both the yard and road extra boards into one big board, not sure if that ever came to fruition. I know that the road extra boards were combined before I left. There are a lot of good people in the Portland Service Unit, but some of the managers are a pain in the ass (that happens everywhere I would imagine). I also have heard of new hires being cut off soon after I left, something the RR swore would never happen. There are no guarantees as a new guy, but I would especially do your homework now if you have been called for an interview.

If there is anything else you want to know, please PM me and I'll try to answer you from the best of my memory. Good luck!

#517579  by Burner

SteelWheels21 wrote:I wish I could log on to the site now and see where I would be seniority wise.

What did you have for a conductors date?

Looks like some people in 05 are in engine service.

#517661  by UPRR engineer

SteelWheels21 wrote:Hey UPRR, glad you remembered me! I enjoyed shooting the poop with you.
Glad to see your still around there buddy.

#517678  by SteelWheels21

Burner wrote:
SteelWheels21 wrote:I wish I could log on to the site now and see where I would be seniority wise.

What did you have for a conductors date?

Looks like some people in 05 are in engine service.
My conductor date was 12/04 and I know there are guys who were with me and a class below me that are now in engine service.

#517777  by slchub

Best of luck there Steel. I'll blow the horn for you a couple times on my next trip!

Re:

#641457  by LYconductor

My conductor date was 12/04 and I know there are guys who were with me and a class below me that are now in engine service.[/quote]

12/04 huh you didn't happen to take you GCOR class in Hermiston did you.