Railroad Forums 

• Can anyone ID this railroad logo? (CIWL)

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#501833  by Nerd

I have a photo from about 1955 taken on a train, and I am trying to figure out what railroad it would have been on. I am attaching a blowup of a portion of the picture which shows the cover on the back of the seat used to soak up head oil and to protect the upholstery. The cover has the RR's logo, I believe something like "CWLI", woven into it. Anybody recognize it? I am also attaching a copy of the entire photo from which the blowup was taken. Incidentally, this photo could have been from a train either in the United States or in Europe. Thanks much.

#501882  by Erwin

Not sure about the logo but the abriviation:

CIWL = Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits

Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits (English: International Sleeping-Car Company), also CIWL, Compagnie des Wagons-Lits, or just Wagons-Lits, is an international hotel and travel logistics company, particularly known for their on-train catering and sleeping-car services.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnie_ ... agons-Lits

Erwin

#502162  by Nerd

After I did my initial post, I stumbled across a picture of the exterior of the car. It is obvious from the new photo that I had come to the right website to get information. You had hit the nail right on the head. Thanks much.

#502171  by RussNelson

I can only read the "Compagnie Internationale" part, can guess at "des" and can see nothing of "Wagons-Lits" even after magnifying and correcting for the perspective, but .... it's almost certain that it's CIWL.

#502215  by Erwin

Oh yes it is. :-D

Erwin.

PS I am originaly from Holland and I have seen these in real life. For a few years in the 80's there used to be a special IC+ from the Hauge to Groningen and back, made with French SNCF corail coaches and one CIWL restaurant car. Scheduled minor maintenance was in the Leidschendam shops, where I used to work as a passenger carman. (best translation I can think of)

Ohh... sweat memories.

#502793  by David Benton

I can see the original photos . If anyone else cant see them , let me know , otherwise ill remove Georges reposting to save bandwidth .
Thanks George .