Railroad Forums 

• L&HR USRA Light 2-8-2 Tender Doghouse

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#497580  by RDG-LNE

I'm currently revamping four of the Broadway Limited L&HR light Mikados to better match the L&HR 80 series. One area I've been putting off is the head brakeman's doghouse on the tender. I can tell that it is offset to the fireman's side and that's about it. I've looked at pictures and done some research and I realize that the actual enclosure will have to be scratchbuilt. Anyone car to hash over more details with me? From what I can see in the Boyd/Antz book, it appears that the doghouse has some sort of twin doors facing the rear of the tender. I can't recall any good shots of the sides and the roof has a slight overhang to the rear.

Drew
Last edited by RDG-LNE on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #498211  by Marty Feldner

About seven years ago, somebody emailed me with essentially the same question- he was working on a 90 class 2-8-0. I did these blowups from pictures in my collection.

The doghouses were added to the 70 class 2-8-2's, 80 class 2-8-2's, and 90 class 2-8-0's, probably during the thirties. They were homebuilt at the Warwick shops, and were probably identical on all classes. No plans are known to still exist, but I estimated the size to be about 4' high, maybe 3' 6" deep, and between 5' and 6' wide.

The doghouse on No. 72:

One of the 90 class:

Number 80:

Number 94:

And, just for interest- this may have been the first home-brew doghouse on the L&HR. A sideswipe accident at the Warwick yards, probably just after WWI. Note the horse buggy body on the tender deck of the 72, on the right...

#502849  by RDG-LNE

Thanks Marty! Just the info I was searching for. I figured I would have to scratchbuild the doghouses, I'm not afraid of that. I do need to find numbers to renumber two of the locomotives, though. Next up is four RS-3's - I'm still gathering parts for them.

Drew
 #584062  by RDG-LNE

Marty, I found an excellent picture today as I was unpacking books after a recent move. I was thumbing through L&HR: The West End by Crist and Krause and stumbled on a picture on page 29 showing a brakeman's doghouse. The authors also report that the doghouses were added in the thirties, as you had suggested. It also appears that they were made of thin sheet metal over some sort of frame. I also noticed that some had windows with guides on the outside and some had the guides on the inside. So far, I've only made a few mock-ups to get a right size "feel" for the doghouse. I'll post a few pictures when I'm finished.

Drew